Existing Member?

Travel | Adventure | Inspiration

Camiguin

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 17 May 2015 | Views [181] | Scholarship Entry

A fresh sea breeze caressed my skin as my feet sank into the soft warmth of the beach’s black, volcanic sand. Rippling swathes of dark blue ocean swirled around my ankles and erased the footprints which I had just left in the sand. Towering coconut trees which stood like weathered guards around the small stretch of beach gently swayed in the wind. The entire scene was bathed in the golden glow of the setting sun, highlighting the raw, untouched beauty of this forgotten paradise. I knew I had finally arrived; I had arrived on an island born of fire, and an island whose name sounds like the beckoning farewell “Come again”. I had arrived in Camiguin… and adventure was waiting.
Camiguin, part of the Mindanao archipelago, is volcanic in origin and is said to be the island with the most volcanoes per square kilometer. With a total of seven volcanoes, its nickname “Island born of Fire” seems very appropriate. Camiguin features a veritable treasure trove of natural attractions. Waterfalls, cold and hot springs, a lush and picturesque hillside, magical black beaches as well as a pristine underwater world - Camiguin has it all.
Camiguin is best explored by motorbike as its 64 km of coastal road makes it easy to circle the island. One of the main highlights along the road is Katibawasan Falls. It is a beautiful, clear stream of water plunging down into a green rock pool, framed by orchids, wild ferns and boulders. Taking a dip in the ice-cold pool is a perfect antidote for the sometimes grueling tropical heat.
But it is not only the attractions that make for a great travel experience. It is also about the interactions with the people, especially the locals. And in this aspect Camiguin is amazing, in large part due to the unique hospitality of the Camiguenos, where friendliness and generosity are a way of life.
I had great experiences in the Philippines. I was allowed to experience the Filipino hospitality, the friendliness, the smiles and easy pace of life. It was all there in Camiguin as well but there was also something more. Maybe it is best described as a feeling of freedom and being disconnected from the rest of the world. If you are out for partying the night away, Camiguin probably won’t be for you. But if you want to break free for a while and fill your life with natural beauty, adventure and friendly people, Camiguin is probably as perfect as it gets. Camiguin, the island sounding like the beckoning farewell “Come again” – I promise, I will come again.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About escapology


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.