Existing Member?

Pilbara Dreaming

Cape Peron in Rockingham

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [1548]

I’ve started heading out on my lunch breaks, which wasn’t a great idea with it being the middle of winter, but we’re in Perth. There’s bound to be at least two sunny days in a week.

My first trip was to Cape Peron (locally known as Point Peron), on a cloudy yet strangely warm day. For once, the wind was down and the light made the water a polished- glass blue.

There was a busload of school kids swarming the rocks and taking their turns with a fishing rod, two Winnebago’s lined up in the boat parking zone, and a dude with a dog and a really big fish. It was a holiday scene in the middle of a working week.

That is quintessentially Rockingham.

Like most lookout points, Point Peron is out of the way and a little bit off the beaten track. Unlike most lookout points, there’s little to no litter and a feeling of welcome in the air.

I wandered up the beach and over the rocks, dodging complacent seagulls. I headed up the steps to the observation post build in World War 2. I only got mildly puffed as I took in the panorama from the mainland to Garden Island and back again. I observed two teenagers quietly working through their relationship issues in the car park. I hummed the theme to Ship to Shore as I trekked through the bush.

For those of you who are too young to remember, and for international readers, Ship to Shore was a children’s television show filmed on location in the 90’s. I remember watching it every afternoon when I came home from school, but there are no mentions of the show in the signage at the Point. Which is a pity, because it was a pretty good show. To my 12 year old self… who also loved teaming pink with purple and owned 27 scrunchies…

If you want some brisk fresh air and amazing panoramic views in a welcoming setting, take a trip to Cape Peron. You’ll need a car, and don’t worry when the road starts to look a bit unkempt- there’s a car park and some great scenery ahead.

Take in the serenity like I did, and quietly hum a long dead theme tune from a childhood television series. Have a little dance. Just make sure that busload of kids has left first…

Who am I? I’m a craft and DIY blogger located in Perth, Western Australia. I want to share my 2007 travel posts with the world, but they don’t fit into my bog niche so I decided to post them here! A lot of the stuff is still relevant, and hopefully you’ll find it both amusing and helpful if you’re planning a trip to Europe. You can check out my blog, Eryn_With_A_Y here.

Tags: beach, cape, fishing, lookout, peron, perth, point, rockingham, sun, western australia

About eryn_with_a_y

Bio Pic

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.