Existing Member?

Our Trip We've left our jobs as banker and teacher in order to see the Southern Hemisphere. Why not?

The Kepler Track

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 26 January 2009 | Views [559]

Trampers in New Zealand all tell stories about the beautiful Milford Track.  It apparently has the best views - views that are so breathtaking you just won't understand until you've been there...  Well, Pete and I couldn't go there because the best hike in New Zealand books up 6 months in advance and freedom treckers like us just can't show up and expect to hike.  So we chose the Kepler Track, another Fiordlands National Park "Great Walk."

I was scared because

1) The brochure advises hikers to bring clothing for all possible conditions, as this is an alpine walk with exposed ridgelines and "4 seasons in 1 day." 

2) A woman hiking was recently caught in a storm and never found. 

3) There are emergency shelters along the way.  Why would there be emergency shelters!? 

4) The strong winds have been known to blow people off their feet.

5) We had to fill out an intentions form with a "panic date" in case we never returned and the choppers had to search for us.

6)I am kind of a wimp.

But our first day out was beautiful.  The weather was perfect and it took us about 4 hours (including a lunch break) to get above the tree line and look out over the Fiordlands.  Our climb was steep but definitely worth the effort.  Once we got to the Luxmore Hut we found our bunks (along with 56 other trampers) and explored the area.  In the morning we woke up to a cloud layer just below us and sunshine overhead.  Amazing.

The second day began with a climb to Mt. Luxmore with 360 degree views of the area.  The winds were strong, but nothing came close to sweeping me off my feet and into the valley.  We followed the ridgeline and wound our way down into the trees again, making for a 6-hour day.  The final destination was the Iris Burn Hut and a well-earned dip in the chilly river.

Day three was a leisurely walk through native bush for another 6 hours or so, and we ended with a walk across a swing bridge toward Rainbow Reach.

I'll never know what we missed on the Milford Track, but I'm certain the Kepler had nearly as much to offer.  All my worry was for nothing.  I highly recommend this tramp even to wimps like myself. 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.