Existing Member?

Our Trip We've left our jobs as banker and teacher in order to see the Southern Hemisphere. Why not?

Wine Tasting in the Marlborough Region

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 30 November 2008 | Views [612] | Comments [2]

In the lovely town of Renwick, bicyclists take over the roads, pedaling along miles of wine trails.  We biked for my birthday - so fun.  There were five wineries that we visited - Allen Scott, The Wine Cellar, Huia, Mahi, and Nautilus (where we had a cheese platter... very tasty). 

We didn't actually purchase any wines, but we did have a nice dinner at The Cork and Keg.  It's an English pub with local beers.  Pete ordered steak and I had ham with pineapple.  Yummy.

This morning we woke up and packed up.  We were told to drive a little ways out of town to a winery - Highland Estates - to climb their tower and take some photos of the region.  We went and got some really pretty pictures of the mountains that surround the zillions of wineries, but when we got back to the car, we thought we were stuck.  The lights came on but there was no engine.  We went back into the winery to see if anyone had any car knowledge.  Chef 1 came out and looked under the hood but couldn't offer any help.  Chef 2 came out and looked under the hood for all of 30 seconds then said, "We just need to give it a good rock."  He and Pete literally rocked the car from side to side.  Magic!  The car started right up.  Is this normal?  We thanked him and drove off, deciding to get AA coverage (NZ's equivalent to AAA).

Comments

1

I don't know about those cars over there.....

  calley, Erin's former roommate and close friend who needs her alive... Dec 1, 2008 2:08 PM

2

Hmmm...will have to try rocking on a couple of Volvos. Thanks for the tip.

  Donna Dec 7, 2008 3:52 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.