Existing Member?

Travels And Reflection A blog of my journeys and the lessons I've learned.

Paris 2002, Part 3 - An Early Paris Morning

FRANCE | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [471]

Dulce and I decided to take the Metro instead of a taxi to visit the Eiffel Tower. We quickly departed after having our free breakfast at the hotel cafe. In our excitement, we forgot to ask the concierge as to where the Metro station was and at which station we should emerge. We were already a couple of blocks from the hotel and Dulce wanted to go back and ask. I told her that there really was no need to and that we should just be adventurous and just look for the nearest station and just take it from there. Dulce looked at me with an expression that I instantly recognized - one of futility.

I told her to just "...trust where destiny would lead us."

"Yeah," she said, "to a cab."

After a few minutes of following a crowd of people rushing to work up the Bd. Madeleine, we reached the Opera where the entry to the subway was. Dulce took note of a landmark: the big Zara store. I guess I should explain: whenever we're on holiday, our landmarks weren't the traditional statue or historic structure but they rather would be whatever retail store we passed. We would always know our way back to the hotel by just looking at the shop signs. Of course, each sign represented a store we would visit one by one on our way back.

We went down the stairs and browsed around the small shops that sold magazines, candy, and trinkets. I asked an elderly French man who ran the trinket shop which station the Eiffel Tower was but the language barrier was so thick that it was just futile. Although, when he was talking to my wife, the words beautiful and very cheap were all the English he spoke. Dulce whispered to me if the old guy knew what bullshit meant.

The exotic and magical looking ticket lady in beaded cornrows, who spoke English in a West Indian accent, advised us to take the M8 and get out at the Ecole Militaire station because the other line that would take us to the closest station closest to the tower from the Invalides station was closed for repairs. We thanked the lady though we obviously did not know which station was from the other. We just crossed our fingers and blindly took her advice. I guess it was her gentle and motherly way of talking that somehow made us trust her.

Strangely, given that it was still the rush hour, the train wasn't crowded. Almost everyone was seated save alone maybe around four who stood. We quietly held hands while we were seated. The only sound that could be heard was the heartbeat-like rhythm of the train's wheels going over the tracks. Dulce noticed it, too, and whispered to me that she could feel the city's pulse underneath. I complimented her on her observation. She then leaned her still sleepy head on my shoulder and tapped her finger on my hand in time with the tracks' rhythm - her usual quiet thank you.

When we got off and emerged onto the sidewalk, we expected to see the tower at once but we just found ourselves on a quiet street flanked by rows of beautiful well-preserved old apartments. While we stood around for a while to get our bearings, Dulce took pictures of the detailing of some of the old buildings. She said that if she were French, she would be very proud of her heritage and that uncontrolled progress destroys a country's sense of culture.

I took her hand and said that I sincerely agreed with her and said that I now figured out the way to the Eiffel Tower. She gripped my hand tightly and smiled as we started to walk on down to the Place de l'Ecole Militaire.

A large modern monument largely made of gigantic panes of tempered glass with long lines of cursive text etched across them greeted us at the edge of the Champs de Mars right across the Ecole Militaire. Looming in the background was the elegant Eiffel Tower. Dulce remarked of how the mix of past and present seemed perfectly planned and executed everywhere in this city and that however glaringly obvious the contrast was, there was still a subtle sense of harmony about them.

The manicured trees lining the walks were starting to wake up from their winter’s sleep with new sets of leaves as Dulce and I trod up the wide gravel pathway towards the famous tower. Dulce wondered why they had to have the tops of the trees trimmed flat. I told that the reason might be to show off the charming old apartments flanking the park. These ancient buildings exuded a silent grandeur as they bathed in the bright spring morning sunshine and for a moment actually felt like they were smiling proudly.

We would stop and sit from time to time, sharing an Orangina.

“Pinch me, Eric” Dulce suddenly told me while we rested beside each other on one of the park benches, “and tell me that this is all a dream.”

I looked straight into her eyes and tweaked her nose.

“It’s not a dream.”

She laughed and retaliated with a tickle to my side.

The tower opened at 9am and we had around thirty minutes. We mulled around the base of the tower, taking pictures of the colorful flower beds. A line had already started but we decided not to hurry to get in it. There really was no hurry. We were on an open schedule and we had the whole day. We just sat comfortably and, as usual, watched the tourists.

We played games like who in the crowd looked the most effortlessly stylish and who could identify a Filipino first. The former was de rigueur and effortless - we always would engage in it wherever we went. The latter though was a challenge because it required a bit more on the observation department; even without hearing them speak, although there were particular gestures that are unique to Filipinos (a certain gait or a facial twitch), we still had a horribly difficult time seeing them, even in a totally alien environment where we knew these traits would stand out.

There was this beautifully ornate carousel nearby and the sight made us wonder about how Dustin was and what he was doing at the moment. We actually felt a tinge of guilt for not bringing him along but we had to be practical. Dustin was still five at the time and we figured that he was still too young to appreciate the Paris experience. We decided to return to Paris with Dustin when he was old enough.

We finally got in line when the crowd thinned and the opening ruckus settled down to something less stressful. Even looking up at the tower from the bottom was already an overwhelming experience.

"Man, I never expected this thing to be so enormous," I remarked.

"Yes, I had the same feeling when I married you."

"Really?" I replied in a proud macho voice.

"Of course!" she replied as she stared wide-eyed at my gut. "...Fat ass."

When we got to the top, we were relieved that there wasn’t a huge crowd; the initial batch of tourists was already beginning to descend. The view alone deserved a moment of silent respect. Dulce held my hand tight as we peered through a viewing window. I felt her excitement and awe as she smiled and pointed out to the vast expanse of the city. I knew that feeling because I, too, felt it.

"It's beautiful, Eric."

"Still think it's a dream?"

"Definitely feels like one."

We turned to each other and kissed.

This was the exact precise moment, atop Gustav's folly, looking down at the world, that we both fell in love again with each other and, of course, with our hostess, the beautiful Paris. I guess it's quite obvious that the city, with her romantic charm and ageless beauty (not to mention effortless style), had left us, as she had done to countless others, enthralled and falling in love.

Tags: Sightseeing

About ericroa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.