Existing Member?

Erica Nairn

Bye China, Hello Hanoi and Halong Bay!

VIETNAM | Monday, 18 July 2011 | Views [749]

It was really raining in Hanoi!

It was really raining in Hanoi!

The bus station in Nanning is quite far from the center of the city. It took a good 45 min in a taxi! Glad i didn't take the bus. Standing on a crowded bus with my backpack on for an hour would have been kind of lame. The taxi was well worth the Y50. The city itself is another huge crowded Chinese metropolis. Took some nice walks and found a great dumpling place,  saw some kids skating, and a man who could not seem to keep his pants pulled up. Interestingly there is a Walmart in the downtown shopping area! Aww China! My Visa for Vietnam took 3 days and was so easy to get because my hostel did all the paper work. I just handed my passport, the photo I brought from home and like Y400. Easy! The bus left China at 8  and arrived in Hanoi at 4pm.
After finding my bed a went to look for a cooking class! Found one at a restaurant around the corner and had an amazing dinner. And tried a fried patty made of ground pork and crickets. Then went to the Irish bar and had a couple beers with some expats.The cooking class started early  the next day,and I joined a group that consisted of a mother and her 2 daughters. They were from Australia and were very fun. We started out with a cyclo ride to the market in the rain. It continued to rain all day but we all enjoyed the class, it was by far the best one I have ever taken. The black pepper sauce for the beef parcels is so easy and delicious, and the fresh spring rolls were very delectable. My mouth is watering now!
Even though the rain did not seem to want to let up, I thought a trip to Halong Bay could not be missed, so decided to take a quick tour. It was a good idea. When we arrived to the dock it was over crowded because they had stopped boats leaving the harbor due to fog. We got underway pretty quick considering. It was foggy but still very hot. Went to a cave called Surprize cave. Named by Ho Chi Minh. There is a huge penis rock and the roof  looks like sand that had been beaten my enormous waves. Then went kayaking, my partner was 21yo Singaporian. We were a pretty good team and even though it was drizzling rain the water was warm all around us and I really enjoyed myself. I stayed one night on the boat and headed back to Hanoi. Arrived at 5 in the evening and booked a buss ticket for 7pm the next day,to Hoi An. While I waited I went to a very posh spa and had a massage and a pedicure.  Some browsing around the Old Quarter and then some pho with too many chilis! YUM!

About ericadawn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.