Existing Member?

Erica Nairn

lakes, islands, and cities in Siberia.

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Thursday, 2 June 2011 | Views [500]

May 28-June 1st
So I booked the bus ticket threw my hostel to Olkohn Island and they said to wait out front by the street for the bus. It would pick me up. It was about 45 min late and was waiting in the back by the entrance. The Hostel is more like a lg apt. There are three rooms, 2 have 3 bunkbeds and one has two beds, a large entry area, one and a half bath and a kitchen with the office off of it. The entry is in the back of the building.  
About 7 hours later we arrive in Khuzhir the small town on Olkohn Island. I got out at the wrong homestay. Mostly because I didn't know the name of the place I was going. But  it was figured out and Olgas husband came and picked me up. Lunch was waiting for me in the kitchen right when I got there. It is a very cute place and I have my own room. It has electricity and a bathroom with a sink that has a very small stream of water. But I was expecting no water so this is great. The out house is an the back. I think its good practice for Mongolia because out on the steppe and in the Gobi there are no toilets.
The lake is brilliant! It is hard to believe I am here! Took a tour up to the north part of the island. We made many stops to take pictures and climb hills and rocks, had a picnic lunch of Omul soup and salami sandwich. Omul is endemic to this lake, as are the nerpa seal and a huge number of the plants.  I took some great photos and went to the beach at sunset  all three nights. No paved roads here but there seems to be a lot of construction. I doubt it will be the same in five years. I love the picture I took of the main road "downtown".
Got back to Irkustks and got a train ticket to Ulan Ude. Only 8 hour train ride, its to funny how time passes after  a 4 day train ride. The hostel I stayed at was new and very cool. I went to an amazing Buddist temple. It is the main one for buddists in this area. Also got my first taste of posy. A buryrat staple that the russians love. It is a juicy meat steamed dumpling. They have it in Mongolia also so I will be eating them a lot.
Heading to Mongolia the morning of the 2nd of June. Taking the bus because it is 1/3 the price and 12 hours compared to the train 24 hours. So crazy Americans do not need a visa for Mongolia

Tags: lake biakal

About ericadawn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.