Existing Member?

A Sabbatical in Paris

Eat, Play Look Adventures in Paris

FRANCE | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [135] | Scholarship Entry

In a meeting I noticed my boss was unusually uncomfortable, for the next 15 minutes I only heard a few key words “job eliminated, a year’s severance, early retirement”. Stunned and bored at home, it didn’t take long to contact a friend, get the ok to stay and book a flight to Paris!

I’m no stranger to Paris and no fan of 1700 Century art, this extended trip would be would be to eat, play and look. A commitment to myself to explore 8 hours a day the next 3 weeks, I planned my day searching the internet for food events, restaurants, new and old sights.

I attend a lot of pop-up dinners at home in Chicago so I searched for events held the next few weeks. Paris Sunday Dinner with Jim Haynes was easy to book via email, Jim a US expat has held lively dinners and connected people in his former sculpture atelier and garden for more than 30 years. With at least 50 guests, Jim who as a great memory tries to introduces you to everyone or anyone nearby. A good three course meal is cooked by volunteer chefs, including beer and wine for 30€.

A booking on EatWith.com and I’m dining in a stunning 17th Century apartment on Ile St Louis. Our host was an Italian art historian who cooked a traditional meal and popped champagne to toast a guest’s birthday and the view of Notre Dame in all her lumiere de nuit glorie.

I found that like many river front cities the Seine riverbanks have undergone redevelopment, roads on both sides of the river were reclaimed and are now green, play, sport and nature spaces. I walked right into the middle of a Zumba class with instructors on stage and bridge directing 100’s of participants. Fun and learning spaces keep kids busy, I could have taken boxing lessons, reserved private space in a shipping container and had a drink at one of the many cafes on the Quay.

Odd, a private museum in a public park, you'll find Frank Gehry’s Fondation Louis Vuitton in the Bois de Boulogne. The new center for contemporary art looks likes like a ship with blowing glass sails, with the museum holding the LVMH’s collection built inside the structure.

Most afternoons after hours of walking, I would sit on the breezy terrace of Palais de Tokyo, gaze at the Tour Eiffel and drink glasses of 3€ Chablis.

Two days into my trip I realized I’d not packed warm enough and two weeks in I clog the kitchen sink. I don’t speak French but could tell by my friend's tone and call to a plumber it was time to book an airbnb and continue my journey stress free.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About epicurious


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.