Existing Member?

Entropy increases. Things fall apart.

Summer was over

GREECE | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [673] | Scholarship Entry

I was counting again and again, every single day, every single hour after the dawn. And the stairs never seemed to change. I had learned every small and insignificant detail by heart. The minus tear at the 5th step, the yellow daisy near the end of the staircase that was trying - for about 10 days now - to blossom, the great anthill around the middle of the stairs that, every week, seemed to accommodate more and more residents. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't forget, even if I tried, I wouldn't succeed. Because of the unspeakable beauty, because of the curse to live forever. I opened my eyes and gazed the fiery red sky. For some there is a God living up there. For some others God is looking at them and taking care of them. For some others though, not for me. I took a deep breath and tried to live for another second.

The wood cabin was in its spot again. I got the handle - a rusty handle met a rusty soul - and I entered. The skirl didn't seem to bother me for a long time now. I entered without decisiveness. Only with chagrin for leaving behind such a place. My blurred eyes followed the same orbit as every day before. The old handmade carpet showed me the path. I found my grandfather sitting on a rocking chair. He jumped of of it and said: ''Let's goodbye our summer, son''.
With luggage in my hands, we left the cabin, the beautiful old staircase and sat near the river. Two weeks ago we used to swim in it, but the water was cold now such as the winter that would come. At the river shores there were some brown parched leaves, still not drifted away by the hulls river. The river seemed so alive and brisk, ready to maul anything in its way. It even had its own lullaby, made from the water and the small pebbles into the river. The platanus next to the river had already lost all its leaves and was standing there dry, sad and alone waiting for the next resuscitative spring. So much beauty and death coexisted for only just a few moments before my eyes.

''This is heaven for the river and hell for the platanus. This is life. I will miss you.'' My grandpa told me and kissed me goodbye. I will never forget the day I left behind my beloved grandfather and his beautiful cabin near the river. Summer was over.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About entropy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.