Existing Member?

La Dolce Vita

Firenze!

ITALY | Sunday, 2 March 2008 | Views [840] | Comments [3]

Classes started last week, so I’ve been pretty busy and haven’t had time for an update lately! I’ll write more about that later-but first Florence!

            We left last Saturday morning to go to Florence-we were tired from going out the night before, but we had four hours to sleep on the train. We checked in to our hostel right away (Hostel Archi Rossi) and wandered through the cobblestone streets to find some lunch. After a delicious meal of spinach ravioli in creamy walnut sauce, we continued wandering the streets, occasionally stopping at stalls in the market and stores, until we reached the Duomo. It was beautiful, inside and out. We decided to climb up to the top of the dome-the 463 stairs didn’t seem so bad at the bottom. They were narrow and windy though-it was hard for me to not freak out from being claustrophobic. We walked inside around the dome and looked at the surprisingly scary paintings-lots of people getting killed and devoured by creepy alien looking creatures. We continued on up toward the top, with the walls becoming slanted as the dome curved more. When we made it to the top, the view was breathtaking, and the long climb was definitely worth it. We then climbed back down and continued to wander around the city. After awhile, we decided to take a nap, and after doing so, we had dinner at a cute little restaurant, decorated in bright colors. That night, we went to a club called Space Electronica (definitely not as good as the clubs in Milan!) but we had fun anyway. On Sunday, we hiked up to Piazzale Michaelangelo and took in the spectacular views of the city. We stayed up there almost all day, enjoying the warmth and sun before heading back to Milan. Overall, it was a fantastic weekend! I’ll have pictures up soon!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

sounds fabulous! I've been in the similar aforementioned claustrophobic staircases that take forEVER to climb, but as you said, well worth the effort.

keep up the adventures!

  anne Mar 3, 2008 11:19 AM

2

Hi Erin,
Mike & I loved reading up on where you are and how things are going! Have fun, enjoy, stay safe.
We will live adventourously through you over the next few months.
Suzanne

  Suzanne Ruland Mar 11, 2008 1:32 AM

3

Hi Hon: We just finished reading your well written descriptive account of your trip to Barcelona. I was sorry to hear you did not enjoy the city and it's history. I am so happy you are taking advantage of the opportunities to travel and see the country. I wish I was going to Dublin with you. How are the classes going? You have not forgotten about them have you.

We enjoyed your parents visit, and Mark and Michelle's last week. Oh yes, thanks for the post card.

We look forward to the next letter an set of photos.

Keep Smiling and remember we love you.

Granddad

  Karl Powell Mar 16, 2008 11:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.