Existing Member?

Magical Cities Around the Globe Every city has a piece of magical air. In every corner, in every alley, we can find magic. So let's discover the city's flair.

Quebec, a magical time travel adventure.

CANADA | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

I am walking down this narrow corridor with stone floor. The buildings on either side rise up a in a hill where the street ends in a steep staircase. My eyes are wide open to this huge crowd of knights clad in coats of mail, long spears and sharp swords. Around them, young maidens in long light colors dresses with headdresses and flowers in their hair, offer fruit and muffins, dropping occasionally a white handkerchief.

For a moment, I blink of disbelief at this parade of colors. How did I get here? What time machine had transported me from the age of digital gadgets to the medieval era?

That international flight from Mexico to Canada had not taken me to a different place in time, but to a magical city called Quebec.

The high stone walls of each of the buildings that stand on either side of the aisle, really give the impression of belonging to an old castle. In fact, except for some modern buildings, like the “Museé de la Civilisation”, Quebec maintains its exquisite architecture that closely resemble the old European cities like Holland and France. Anyone would think I am in a ancient feudal village surrounded by knights, jesters and ladies.

Not bad for forgetting the constant pressure of school and everyday tasks. Lots of music, food and people make the perfect combination.

As I walk among those individuals, my heart speeds up its heartbeat and my joy increases. I'm definitely in the medieval era, between brave knights, damsels in distress, honor, glory and bloody challenges amid a medieval festival, a very common activity in this cultural capital. The downtown is a maze of alleys surrounded by coffee shops, art galleries, bookstores and small clothing and footwear shops.

This city really has a particular interest in preserving its culture. There are many shops where you can buy Gothic items as clothes, shields, swords, dragon and fairies sculptures, lamps and even a medieval armor. But there're places where you can buy very modern gifts and souvenirs.

Quebec is known as a kind of country within a country. The vast majority of people speak French, unlike their compatriots in other Canadian provinces. Its history dates back to 1608 with the founding of the city by Samuel de Champlain. And despite the constant political disagreements between France and Britain for the control of the region, the city has retained its local culture, language and modus vivendi.

It's the perfect combination of color and joy out of a fairy tale. A magical place indeed.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About eniclaroma


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.