Existing Member?

traveling like royalty

Jet-lagged in Munich

GERMANY | Thursday, 7 May 2015 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

We are on day two of our European Adventure, and I'm pleased to report that we're still alive, and thanks to some homeopathic jet-lag pills, rather hopeful that we'll catch a glimpse of some Fußball-Club Bayern München players.

That said, we are not at home. We do not speak the language. We may have had a wee too much bier with our wurst at lunch today. Indeed, who knew that the smooth sidewalk-looking ribbons of asphalt that skirt the streets of Munich are bike lanes? Not us! The first rule of walking in Munich, it turns out, is sticking to the cobblestone sections of thoroughfare. The second rule is: when crossing at intersections, stay in the fatter of two crosswalks or you'll get mowed down by a cruiser. The third rule is, this is Germany--so you'd better pay attention!

But seriously, we're having a blast. Last night, whilst negotiating the traffic and trying to get our bearings, we stumbled into the infamous Hofbrauhaus for a meal (though I think it was breakfast time by our jet-lagged internal clocks). Amid the oompah and dirndls and the lederhosen and the huge liter pitcher-steins, we hungrily slurped onion soup and inhaled potato dumplings.

No wander around Munich is complete without taking in the demon-fighting cherubs in Marienplatz - there are four of them, the little mythic beasts, guarding against war, plague, hunger and faithlessness. After which, you’ll need a nightcap. Perhaps a light, refreshing dunkle or a Radler -- which may indeed lead to a hunt for WC on the route back to the hotel. Remember, the city's King Ludwig I invented Oktoberfest - so don't insult the history by bypassing the pubs!

Today's journey included the Residenz, which took most of the morning since the Wittelsbach's Bavarian family palace is an absolute delight. Those Bavarian royals liked their rococo! After the Residenz, we hopped on the U briefly, popping up after a couple of stops to stroll through the sprawling, dog-and-Frisbee-filled English Garden, the "Central Park" of Munich. Here, we had a "when in Munich" afternoon and gulped down an ein mass in the centrally located Chinese Tower Beer Garden (while watching a 10-year-old girl at the picnic table next to us do the same) before stumbling out of the way of more zooming bikes.

Tomorrow we'll tour the Nymphenburg with its Gallery of Beauties, before heading off to Garmiche mountains and points South.

Heaven help us, the Autobahn awaits!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About empressintraining


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.