Existing Member?

Empowering Mind Body Soul Wanderlust Edition

Finding Happiness in Solitude

USA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [111] | Scholarship Entry

I arrived in The Miami Hostel around 3pm. This whole week I've been nervously awaiting this day, my first experience traveling completely alone and staying at a hostel. My room has six beds, it's a female only room. I bought a six pack of bud light and patiently awaited all you can eat hot dogs that began at 6pm. I made eye contact with a beautiful man, he sort of looked like Leonardo Decaprio. I spotted his Havanas, a Brazilian sandal and saw a potential spark of conversation. I asked him if he knew the wifi password and his accent took me by surprise. He's from the UK, and he's come to visit for spring break.
Thrown back by his British accent, I was blushing.
Had it been this long since I've felt a spark?
It was such a raw/beautiful experience of two strangers who just happened to experience a moment of chemistry. A moment that touched me and reminded me that humanity exists. Love exists I still haven't gotten his name. But he is a mesmerizing.
Everyone is so sweet, all coming from different places in the world. They all have a story to tell.
I told my friend I was staying at a hostel and she replied "you're better than that" not realizing how great this experience is.
Her ignorance was a direct reflection of her social status. She told me she's staying at her parents condo in west palm beach. Lucky her. But maybe not... Maybe I am the lucky one, for having the courage to travel alone, in a shared space with strangers from all over the world who share common dreams. Maybe there's more to learn here than staying in a fancy hotel or condo...
It was approximately 10 pm when I attempted to get to south beach. I couldn't seem to find the bus and I was getting impatient so I called a cab. While waiting for the cab a girl in my hostel complimented my heels. Her and her friend were cutesy american girls from Virginia named Katherine and Meghan. We began a conversation that led to them inviting me to go to a nightclub called Mansion in a Limo with their promoter. The three of us hit it off, telling stories about traveling, taking selfies and dancing with cute men.
We hit it off with these guys from Las Vegas who later invited us into their VIP table hosted with fireball and dancing.
The night was spontaneous and unforgettable.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About empoweringmindbodysoul


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.