Existing Member?

The Ancient Civilisations Explorer

Sumo Wrestling - Pride of Japan

JAPAN | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [265] | Scholarship Entry

Walking into the Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium, Japan during a sumo-wrestling tournament makes you feel like royalty. Fans line the walkway into the stadium in hordes like people lining up to meet the queen. I shuffle over to someone in a uniform, confused on where to enter. The man points ahead, ushering us to walk through the ‘red carpet’ entrance.

Walking through was like you were a C grade celebrity on the red carpet. You feel like you’re the center of attention, but look closely and you’ll realize that although they’re cheering, it’s not for you. They are waiting for the A grade celebrities, their favorite Sumo Wrestlers.

The celebrity status continues when you pass through the ticket gate, a young man dressed in a bright blue tracksuit (just imagine for a moment he was wearing a tuxedo) is your own personal usher. He knows exactly where your seats are; we followed him upstairs around corners, through doors up more stairs and to our seats. They were second row to the back, but still surprisingly good in the intimate arena.

Sumo wrestling is rife with tradition. The ring, a raised square platform has a surface of sand. It’s smoothed out constantly with wiry brooms. Inside the square there is a rope circle, this outlines the area the bout takes place. Once someone goes outside the rope, the bout is over. There are two white lines located in the center; this is the starting position.

The Yobidashi (announcer) calls wrestlers to their bout; he holds a wooden fan. Then a very colorful robed man known as the Gyoji (referee) enters. He advises the wrestlers when it’s time to begin and initiates the tachi-ai (initial charge).

Prior to the bout the wrestlers will get all the bad spirits out of the ring; they do this in two ways. Stamping them out and the professional wrestlers also throw salt (so much salt) in the ring. A sumo’s aim is to get the other wrestler outside of the ring or to fall over. Most bouts go on for only a matter of seconds after the tachi-ai. Prior to initial charge, they perform intimidation techniques, which can last several minutes.

Watching the crowd is just as interesting as the sumo’s. Many females dress in traditional kimono’s for the event. It appears no matter what country you’re in the desire to yell at sporting matches is customary. These usually quiet Japanese people became larger than life as they cheer and jeer at the spectacle.

For a fuss free sumo experience (including when to go), I recommend www.buysumotickets.com

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About emmakent


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.