Existing Member?

Our Australian 4WD Adventures

Beginning of the Beginning.

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 30 June 2007 | Views [580] | Comments [2]

Well.
The passed eighteen months have been pretty massive, on the scale of massive-ness from 1 to 10, I'd rate it at about a 9.8! I moved out of home at the start of 2006 at a mere 17 years of age. Got accepted into University in Fremantle, Perth but decided to take twelve months of to save up some money. (Centrelink has this discusting system where you must make $17,121 eighteen months prior to leaving school OR be over the age of 25 to be deemed "independent", even though for the government to still scam as much money out of you as they can, you are legal to purchase alcohol and cigarettes at the age of eighteen, which to me seems to be the age you are titled "independent". This makes me wonder how many money-leaching 25 year-olds are still living under there parents roofs!!! Hmm, remarkable.) 

I worked in a Cafe/Deli for most of 2006, and taught swimming lessons at a health club. During this time, I was living with my best friend (Carly), my boyfriend (James "Perfo" Perfrement) and her boyfriend (Brad "Gally" Galvin) centrally in Como, Perth. My very first holiday (besides flying from Darwin, NT to England when I was two weeks old) consisted of tall palms, exquisite green and blue water and cheap food, sunglasses and perfume. Yes you guessed it, in December me and Perfo were off to Bali for two weeks. Uni started in Febuary 2007 and as Perfo had moved out to be closer to the coast (and the O.B.H!!)I decided to move in with him and start fresh at university. We got a computer, printer, desk, chair... & all my uni equipment (all of which we were fortunate enough to "borrow" off both the Morrison Mob and Perfrement Pod). The dazziling uni-life, of which I thoroughly enjoyed - extreme pissfests at the Newport "Newy"(Wednesday nights), Club Bay View "Clubba" (Thursday nights), Metros Fremantle "Our Hood" (Friday and Saturday nights) and Northbridge (Any other possible night!) Not to mention wild nights of out-of-this-world-behaviour at The Claremont, The Leedy, Mojo's and Captain Stirling. Also, here, I think is the perfect opportunity to mention The Mustang Bar A.K.A "Stang", and even though it is located in Northbridge which I have already mentioned, many will second me saying it is a world of its own - all this came to a quick holt after the first semester, when me and Perfo decided to up and go travelling. We considered Europe, but both knew we had to travel our own beautiful continent first. 

I drove to Denmark a few days after my last exam with Perfo and my very hung-over mother from the night before. What an adventure that was!! Now to all those people out there who do not know me, or do not know me that well, I am a born "crammer" (one who studies the night before an exam) and have used this technique my whole life... HOWEVER, you cannot possibly study for your hardest known exam - the one your tutors have nailed and nailed you about studying for well in advance all year due to the fact that 50% of students enrolled in that unit received the big "F" grade. And if the exam is on Wednesday morning BUT you have another exam on the Monday before hand, which you also need to study for, I DO NOT RECOMMEND going out the Friday oh, yes that's right AND Saturday night before these exams!!!! NOT the best move was it Emma, Pip, Lysh, Jackson, Lori, Amy, Guthers... and whoever else from Notre Dame University!!)

Now, the highlight of that Wednesday morning, was not only the fact that the exam paper looked suprising like eight questions out of a japanese exam paper, i.e. one I did not understand... ... (Now, before I go on, THAT EXAM started at 8:30AM ok!)... ... a huge shout out goes to the friendly police car of five cops who followed me and Pip and my beasty excel from Claremont to ALMOST Notre Dame University who stopped us for a random breathe test... (did I mention it was at 8am Wednesday morning? Oh, yes I believe I did!!!) And also, for keeping us waiting on a one-way street off Stirling Highway

for 15 minutes, leaving us with 10 minutes to get to the exam and find a car park in Fremantle (winner of the "Hardest Place to Park Your Car" awards for the past two centuries) and a $100 fine for not displaying ONE P-plate. Thanks hey, that really made our day!! And, because you right assholes drove off before us (probably to leach money off more poor uni students instead of catching the real criminals out there… I have decided that police men and women have WAY to much time on their hands!) instead of following that one-way road, getting lost and missing our exam, we did a sweet U-turn and drove up that street the wrong way. WHAT YOU GONNA DO NOW! Pricks.   

Me and Perfo plan to leave in 3 weeks (around the 23rd July), setting sail in our beasty 4WD (identity of the car is yet to be determined… *cough* we don't have one yet *cough*!!!) And we are both really, really excited.

I hope all of you cool cats keep us well up to date with the hot gossip of Denmark, Albany and Perth and where all of your own journeys lead you within the twelve months we are away and remember to keep tabs on this site for photos and blogs while were trekking. (Hint, save it to your "favourites" page.)
I hope 2007 and 2008 bring you much love, peace and happiness. And more.

Love Emma xx

P.S. Bring on everything you've got Australia, we are so ready for you!!!

Tags: The Planning Phase

 

Comments

1

Have a great time and be safe. Look forward to hearing about your travels 'round OZ!!!

  Janice Jun 30, 2007 8:42 PM

2

Aww little one I'm going to miss you so much!
You'd better come back! Take care and enjoy every single moment of it - because you'll never get them back.
Oceans of love and best wishes from your sis xo =)

  Lisa Jul 8, 2007 9:11 PM

About emma_james2007


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.