Existing Member?

A series of interesting guesses

Bioluminescent Costa Rica

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [295] | Scholarship Entry

With nothing but the light from the stars we carefully pick our way across the rocky shoreline into the boat. Despite the greater indulgence of the night sky than we are used to, our eyes cannot steal enough light from the stars. The symphony of insects dampen as we drift further from the shore, the motor now the only sound cutting into the night.
With no warning, lights spark amongst the wake of the boat - a confused firework, spiralling into the night.

The motor turns off and the boat floats aimlessly. With the surface no longer churning the fireflies of the water go back into hiding. Motion is their master. We lean eagerly over the edge of the boat, frozen, waiting for the next movement. Tonight, the sea is a performer, and we sit poised on their stage. I shake my hand into the water and the show bursts back to life. Bright blue sparks dance through my fingertips and tiptoe gracefully down my arms. Nothing else could capture the effervescence of its audience so convincingly. We are captivated.

The other wildlife lend a hand to the exhibition. Fish flit playfully across the black canvas, leaving dwindling trails of light. Below me, five small stingrays glide from underneath the boat unawares the bioluminescence have illuminated their bodies. None of our cameras can capture the performance but that makes it all the more special. This night will remain incandescent in my memory.

Unwelcome, but understood, the boat motor restarts. And the curtain falls.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About emlindsay


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.