Existing Member?

Interim 2014 in Ecuador

day 4 12/31 Cuenca

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 1 January 2014 | Views [361]

Today we started our longggg bus ride to Cuenca where we were to meet our host families. I had all sorts of emotions. I was excited, nervous, and anxious. I wasn’t sure to expect, but had an open mind going into it. On our way we stopped at the oldest church in Ecuador. We didn’t stop long because we had about six more hours to go. And this isn’t like a six hour interstate ride, it was winding up and down through the mountains. On our way we happened to see a bus accident and it looked as if one of the tires fell off and the bus lost control. It was amazing to see how many people dropped what they were doing to help. This shows how strong of a community Ecuador is across the map. In the US maybe one of two cars would have stopped, but there could have easily been 30 people out there helping. This goes to show how American’s get so wrapped up in each individual life and feel as if we don’t have time to stop and help. It was incredible to see people running up and down the streets in order to help.

            We FINALLY arrived in Cuenca. The city is very nice and it feels different than the other cities we have visited. It is a little more modern and maybe higher economic status as well. We pulled up to the CEDEI building, where we are to have class every morning, and were greeted by a couple Ecuadorian women. I have never given so many kisses in one day; I guess they aren’t really kisses, but a touch to the cheek. We walked in the building and lined up as our names were called out followed by our host family. Kelsey and I were shortly introduced to our host mother, Elena. She is very kind, but does not speak English. Good thing I have Kelsey as a roommate because she is almost fluent in Spanish. I would be so lost and not connected without her. So we left CEDEI and arrived at her house. Her house is gated off, like most houses here, and is in a nice neighborhood. Her house is much more modern than some of the hotel or other houses we have seen. She showed us to our rooms and gave us time to unpack and get settled in. We then met the sister and her child, Santi. He is so adorable and they as well know no English. She told us to get ready by 4 pm and that we were headed to her aunts house where the whole family would be. Before we headed to the aunts house we went to the grocery store with our house mom so we could tell her what foods we liked. She however already knew that I love fruits and vegetables and had a plate waiting upon our arrival. The grocery store was very similar to what you would find in the US. They even had most brands that you would find in the US. She bought us some cookies, chips, yogurt, and bread. I very nervous to see what kind of lunch she prepares because lunch is the biggest meal and contains a wide variety of food I guess.

            After the grocery store, we headed to the aunts house. When we got there we greeted everyone with a kiss on the cheek. That is how Ecuadorians greet one another. The girls kiss on the cheeks and guy to guy shake hands. However, it happens whenever anyone comes or goes. We sat down and Kelsey introduced us and said where we were from. The aunt then served us some food and coffee. I of course was hesitant about the food and picked around some of it. After a couple hours, they set up karaoke. It must be a big tradition in their family to have karaoke on New Years Eve. They had quite the set up with speakers, a DJ, lights, and a TV. They made Kelsey and I go first with singing Hotel California. We were pretty terrible. They sang, and sang, and sang for about four hours total. When our teacher told us they eat late, they sure do. We started eating at about 9:30 pm. They served rice, potatoes, some sort of meat, and salad. I didn’t eat the meat, but the other food was very good. After dinner the dancing and singing didn’t stop. Kelsey and I were extremely tired from our long day of traveling, but the aunts and uncles and cousins didn’t stop. I don’t know where they found all their energy, but they were having fun. Ten minutes to midnight we all went outside for another traditional Ecuadorian ceremony. The family had several dolls that they burned. This was going on all over the streets along with fireworks. It was definitely a New Years Eve to remember; much different than one I am used to. Happy New Year! 

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.