Existing Member?

Emily's Ecuador Journal

New Year/ Host Family

ECUADOR | Friday, 3 January 2014 | Views [301]

Living in a new environment with a new family is a very difficult situation to enter, especially during a holiday season. Experiencing the new customs of a different culture was very interesting. The house was much larger than I imagined. There are 4 bedrooms, a large living area, a dining room, a kitchen, and two smaller sitting areas. The furniture is much more modern than what I have experienced thus far at the hotels. Once I got settled, I had the opportunity to explore the city with our family’s grandson, Christian. It was fun to see all the new years traditions. The new years celebrations are very different in Ecuador than in the United States. With my host family, I helped make the “dummy” that is burned in the street. We took an old pair of jeans, and old t-shirt, and sewed it together. Then, we stuffed it with old newspapers. The dummies I saw in the streets are more ten feet tall and can cost more than $2000. Once it was midnight, the whole family, and extended family, gathered in the street to burn the dummy we made. We also shot off firecrackers and sparklers. The burning of the dummy represented good luck in the New Year and was symbolic of the bad in the old year. Instead of kissing like we do in the United States, the people of Ecuador hug everyone. After it was fully burned, the whole family returned to the house to eat a meal that consisted of ham, rice, and salad. The food was very rich. I was also told that this is the one time a year that they eat this type of meat. After talking with the family, I feel more and more comfortable with my Spanish. Although I cannot speak it perfectly, I am finding ways to communicate through hand motions. On new years day, I had the opportunity to explore the city of Cuenca a little more. Although most stores and restaurants were closed for new years day, I still enjoyed walking around. While walking, I saw many older Americans that I assumed retired in Cuenca. So far, I have really enjoyed my time in Cuenca and am very excited to explore the city even more. 

About emilygapinski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.