Existing Member?

Emily's Ecuador Journal

Pre Trip Journal

USA | Monday, 23 December 2013 | Views [309]

When preparing to travel to a new country, there are many new concepts that need to be understood and studied. One major idea that needs to be known is culture. The culture of a country is a combination of different activites like communication, religion, language, values, social activities, and knowledge. Studying and experiencing other cultures will icrease the acceptace of our global community. My cluture looks very different from the Ecuadorian culture. For example, my culture believes in a variety of freedoms like speech and religion. Because of the values the United States was based off of, men and women are considered equal. Also, my culture celebrates many religious and national holidays and traditions like independence day, Christmas, Birthdays, and many more. Our behaviors might also differ from other cultures. For example, the way we greet people and how we act towards others. 

From what I have read in books and on the internet, I have some assumptions of what the culture in Ecuador would be like. With a different culture comes a difference in the way we dress, the way we greet family and friends, and the food we eat. I believe that the people in Ecuador will dress much more conservative than I would in the United States. From what I have read, shorts and tight clothing are not acceptable. Also, the way we interact with friends is different. In my culture, many young adults spend their free time, going to the moveis, hanging out at the mall, having gatherings at a home. In Ecuador, I think their culture is much more family oriented. So, instead of going out with friends, children have to stay home and help their family farm or make goods to sell and trade. Finally, the food we eat will be drastically different. Instead of having a plethora of fast food resturants, Ecuador has many small markets to buy fresh food at. These markets are the main income for many families. 

Being an economic major, the economics of a country is very interesting to me. According to the book, Ecuador and Galapagos, the economic state of Ecuador is very interestiing and recently changing. Since the discovery of oil in the 1970's, Ecuadors economy has been transformed. Although, with the discovery of oil came the destruction of the enviroment. Large oil companies were building roads and taking land without thinking of the affect on the enviroment in the amazon region of the country. The oil companes are also polluting the water supply. Also, tourism is a way natives get their income. Though selling goods at local markets, families can make a living. But, steady jobs are what most Ecudorians want. 

 

 

About emilygapinski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.