Existing Member?

A little bit of everything!

Berlin

GERMANY | Tuesday, 11 November 2014 | Views [295]

Back to Germany today wohoo! Some of my fondest memories from this trip have been from Germany..mainly thanks to the beautiful people there..but today's destination was Berlin, which I was sure would differ quite a lot from the south of Germany I had already explored..we stopped in a town called Dresden and checked out a WWII mural and church, which was blackened from bombings..tried some yummy traditional currywurst sausage (Elle and I only got a 2 on the hotness scale of 0-7), got some drugs from the pharmacy then back on the bus..drove around Berlin, which certainly was different ! A lot more modern and hip..although I got the feeling you'd have to spend a few days here to really appreciate the city..we drove around, there was beautiful art everywhere..drove past the wall, pretty crazy! Checked in to our AWESOMELY luxurious hostel (cosy beds, a pillow, nice shower and toilet..#winning) then got ready for our pub crawl! This trip is literally gogogo..had dinner in the hostel restaurant (really was a fancy and hip hostel..even had an artist stationed in the middle of the courtyard, so Berlin ;) )..we all had a shot then headed in for our pub crawl! Began with dancing like crazy on our bus at red lights..then a beer whilst walking to the first bar..three bars later we headed to a nightclub to dance the night away..we were used to having to trek for ages and take public transport to get back to our accommodation but tonight the hostel was literally over the road woohoo!

Everyone was a little secondhand this morning..but we had to smarten up for our historical walking tour, which involved some pretty heavy info! We learned that after the war there were issues with the allied forces trying to figure out what to do with Germany and Berlin..Russia wanted to make it communist and hence eventually the wall was built to separate the non communist 'western' side (set up by the British, French and Americans) and the eastern side..it was interesting to hear the original plans for a communist society, the idea was for equality etc..but it just didn't work and people were suppressed with no freedom..and as the wall literally went up overnight (1961), people were separated from their friends and family..for up to 28 years (1989)..insane..we also went to the site of hitler's bunker..and learnt how he blamed his country for losing the war and decided to poison his dog, his wife and himself..an easy way out if you ask me..it was really interesting seeing the wall and learning the history..sadly, so much suffering didn't end with WWII..we also checked out the holocaust memorial, which was an area with huge cement blocks built on undulating land..symbolizing the isolation and suppression people would have felt..very powerful walking through it.. I felt a bit sorry for our tour guide, but everyone was doing their best to concentrate! We did have to stop for a coffee break though :P afterwards we went and had lunch for Theresa's birthday then walked up to primark to get some warm essentials (although still no shoes, feet are still freezing!!)..we then made our way to checkpoint Charlie, one of the monitoring areas between the east and west..read about escape attempts and how strict the east really was..we then caught the bus back with the few others that'd managed to remain out and about for the whole day..walked along the wall near our hostel and got some pics...Elle and I did some washing, we signed cards and presents for the crew, had a birthday cake for Theresa and hit the sack..

 

About emily_witenden


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.