Existing Member?

Priceless Currency

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [1502] | Comments [10] | Scholarship Entry

I see her smile first.

She sits cross-legged on the cobblestoned corner with one bony hand protruding through brown rags. The fine lines etched across her dirt-smeared face converge in the corners of her almond-shaped eyes. Teenage girls wearing Hello Kitty backpacks and business men on cell phones pass by, oblivious to us both. The brightness of her smile dazes me. I pause, three feet from the outdoor escalator that threads through the west and central districts of Hong Kong, and wait for my vision to clear.

The street around us pulses with activity. The discordant symphony of hooting horns mingles with the staccato speech of Filipino maids en route to Victoria Park for an afternoon exchanging Merienda and gossip. The aromas of dim sum, sweet buns, Big Macs and fresh fish mingle in the early afternoon air. A ginger tabby darts across the cobblestones and disappears between the legs of an old man hunched over a chess board. To the left of the woman, past a store selling Gucci handbags and a tea house, is the skeleton of a high-rise residential building. Bamboo struts encircle the exterior in a confluence of tradition and contemporary. In line with Feng Shui principles, the floor numbers skip the inauspicious number four.

The woman smiles at all of this and nothing at all. As I pass her, she beckons me with one curled finger.
"Weixiào," she says, her mouth curving impossibly upwards. I pat the empty pockets of my cargo pants and shake my head. I offer her a tuna sandwich from my bag. She throws her head back and roars with laughter.
"Méiyou, méiyou," she says, wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. "Weixiào."

After the sun sinks behind the South China Sea, I curl up on my brother's sofa with a translation dictionary and mug of sweet milk tea. The skyline sparkles with the electric stars from over 7, 000 skyscrapers as my index finger traces the unfamiliar words on the page. Finally, I see it.
Weixiào.
It means, smile.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

I Weixiào when I read this. I couldn't help imagining the woman's face, hahah! Bravo!

  Xiaomin May 10, 2012 3:51 PM

2

Beautiful

  Jessie May 10, 2012 4:06 PM

3

I would love to read more, truly

  Kelly May 10, 2012 4:08 PM

4

Beautifully written! I want to read more of your adventures & experiences!

  Kat May 10, 2012 5:26 PM

5

A few words worth a million pictures... All those things so easily missed while inside the me-bubble of our day to day lives... Your words remind us all to stop and smell the humanity... Well done E

  B May 10, 2012 8:01 PM

6

Fabulous perspective of an incredible encounter.
I look forward to reading more :)

  Josey May 10, 2012 8:37 PM

7

Your writing makes me smile. Look forward to more adventures.

  Donna Ritchey May 11, 2012 7:38 AM

8

Remember to smile, even in the hard times. This woman appeared when I needed her the most, and almost 10 years later I'm still grateful for the gift. Thanks everyone for your kind words.

  Emily rose May 11, 2012 7:53 AM

9

i am interested by you mentioned filipina maids. how sure are you that these women are filipinas? what to you are these people? any encounters ?

  sheila May 11, 2012 8:11 AM

10

Thanks for the comment. I recognize the language, although I can't speak it. This encounter happened on a Sunday, the day off for Filipino domestic helpers. Merienda is like an afternoon tea or brunch. Victoria park is one of the more popular places to congregate.

  Emily rose May 11, 2012 8:33 AM

About emily_rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.