Existing Member?

Emily's Adventures

Rome 1

ITALY | Tuesday, 28 August 2012 | Views [320]

Ancona gave us a chance to chill out for a couple of days and catch up on some much needed washing. It was very hot in ancona and there was no wind so we were dripping with sweat morning to night. I had a great game of charades with the lady at the chemist and managed to get a cough syrup and nose spray. We are all sick with a really bad cough- oh well we are in it together :). We got the bus to Rome and arrived at the camping ground- Camping Roma- just after six. It is the same company as in Venice (Camping Jolly) so we were in the same tents as we had there. The camp ground is nowhere near as nice as the one in venice. We went for a much needed swim in the pool then caught public transport into town. I say public transport because we had to get a bus then the train- then get off the train halfway down the line because it is being upgraded and get on a bus that follows the train route. We finally got to the trevi fountain around 10pm it was spectacular. We came around the corner not knowing what to expect and there it was in front of us. It is absolutely huge and wonderful. The atmosphere around the fountain was buzzing with people taking photos and throwing in their coin to make a wish. There were so many people there, apparently the only time there aren’t hundreds of people around is a 4am. It was a very pretty sight especially at night with all the lights.  We took heaps of photos then walked to the Spanish steps. We didn't know where we were going at first but you just need to find all the Somali looking men selling cheap stuff illegally and follow them- it will always lead to a main attraction. We weren't long in town as the last bus to our camp ground was at 12 and we had to get the bus and train before the last bus. I enjoyed the atmosphere of Rome in the touristy spots. People everywhere eating drinking and enjoying the warm night air. When steph and i got back to the tent i sat on my bed not wanting to make it. I finally decided it needed to be done so i could go to bed and turned around to notice my bed was crawling with ants- not just a few, but a good hundred. Argh i was freaking out, i had stupidly left a bag of food on my bed in the rush to go out which was now teeming with ants of all different sizes. A lot of squealing came from our tent as we tried to move the ant bag into another plastic bag. Once accomplished we ran with the bag up to the nearest bin to dispose of the ant family. We went to reception. Her English wasn't very good. I said " there are ants all over my bed" to which she replied " oh really, would you like another sheet". I said no they are all over my mattress- i don' t want another sheet, i haven’t even made my bed. Finally she said she would send someone to have a look. We got back to the tent hoping the ants would still be on the bed, they had reduced significantly due to the removal of the food source. I said to steph- quick do you have a crumb to entice them back. So we sprinkled a few and the man came to look and there were still a few crawling along the bed frame. He was repulsed so we got a new tent and our second ride in a golf buggy (1st Venice during storm). Off to bed finally just after 1am ready for a big day visiting the roman forum and Colosseum the next day.

About emily_b


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.