Existing Member?

Emily's Adventures

Bruges 2

BELGIUM | Wednesday, 25 July 2012 | Views [423] | Comments [4]

We are having the most amazing weather in Europe. Yesterday was soo hot probably at least 30 degrees at 3pm. We hired bikes from the hostel and went out to explore the medieval city. All the streets are cobbled stone and everyone bikes here. Most of the roads are very small and quiet as you bike over bridges and around all the canals. I hadn’t ridden a bike in ages- so it was very enjoyable, and what better way to explore the streets of Bruges medieval town. You don’t need to wear a helmet- we only needed to remember to bike on the right side of the road- which I forgot a few times. Bruges has canals that run all through it so we followed some of them around. It felt like we were in a movie- what a great lifestyle they have here. We stopped for a rest and to discuss where to have lunch outside a shoe store that had a 70% off sale- coincidence- I think not :) we had to go in- I came out with 2 pairs of shoes for 20 euro- 1 pair of sandal style heels- with bows in green- so awesome and a pair of ballet flats. This adds to my nonexistent bag space predicament. The sleeping bag tied to the outside of the bag now houses my two towels- I think I may have to buy a new bag....steph already has shoes hanging from the outside of her pack. After our bike around the city we went and lay by the canals on the grass and watched the locals playing a game similar to petanque, but instead of balls you throw a wooden brick at one of several upright bricks worth different points to knock them over. The afternoon got so hot that we had to go and have a lie down in our hostel to escape the sweltering sun. At 6pm we joined 8 others from the hostel for a picnic by the windmills that run along the canal. That was fun- we got Smurf biscuits- as they were created in Belgium and some Belgium chocolate from the supermarket- as we were told that is where you get the best Belgium chocolate- it didn’t taste very nice. We woke to another stunner of a day- not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of wind. We walked into Markt square and had a look around. The chocolate shops are amazing- they know how to draw you in with beautiful window displays. They have chocolates everywhere and you grab a bag and help yourself. sooo yummy. Being in Belgium we had to get a Belgium waffle so that was our next plan of attack. We sat at a cafe that was situated on the edge of the main square- the waffle was alright but I think I’ve had better from the waffle man back home.

Comments

1

Amazing - dont get too fat eating all the chocloate
Cant wait for Photos
Any nice Boys !

  Mark Jul 25, 2012 6:27 PM

2

I love your blog! That places sounds magical
And a shoe sale! Heaven! Yumm waffle take a photo of the Belgium waffle in beligium. Can u get a photo by the cool Amsterdam sign! Xx

  Rosie Jul 25, 2012 7:23 PM

3

Sorry re stupid comments from me before
What an amazing experiance
Your blogs are so real , I think Im there
I just googled Bruges

  Mark Jul 25, 2012 8:08 PM

4

Dont forget to post stuff home make the most of the shopping!

  Anna Jul 25, 2012 10:05 PM

About emily_b


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.