Existing Member?

Postcards from... somewhere...

Postcard from San Francisco

USA | Thursday, 6 October 2011 | Views [203]

Also a short one, mostly because I didn’t do too much... I got up late, wandered down to get brunch, made my way to the SFMOMA, decided I wasn’t really in the mood to spend 18 bucks meandering through exhibitions so checked out the gift shop to make sure I wasn’t missing much... Which, as I decided I wasn’t, - and I didn’t buy anything either – I instead went across to the Jewish Contemporary Museum, which I did want to see...  It always irks me that I know nothing about my Jewish heritage, friends have been wishing me Shanna Tova, and I didn’t know it was the New Year... Every so often I think about doing some kind of Jewish cultural studies course, but at the JCM I bought myself a book which might be the start of getting to be more informed...  And after that, I’ll look into what’s next.

But the museum was really good, an exhibition of the work of Charlotte Saloman, and also a Houdini exhibition.  Which of course I was very interested in...  I didn’t know much about some of his stunts in the past, but, well, hmmm.... ;-) 

Then, perhaps taking inspiration from Houdini, I decided to take a walk down to 8th Street to do some shopping, the kind you can’t do in Union Square... But I was very disappointed by the shopping available.  Really, in London, we definitely seem to have the best... It was amusing later when I met my friend John – who I also haven’t seen for maybe 17 years – and I said I’d been shopping on 8th Street, he said, oh, did I mean xxxxxxx.   And he’d nailed it.  Maybe it’s obvious.  Or maybe, I was disappointed because the shop I had been seeking out had stopped selling its line of womens clothes, and had more in store that a gay man might know about.... ;-)

And then San Francisco redeemed itself.  Walking down on Mission, on my way back into town, I stumbled across an oasis of goodies, and spent a fortune... 

Dinner with John was fantastic.  He picked me up from my hotel, and we went down to his district, Castro, where we had a couple of delicious concoctions called a Cherry Cherry Bang Bang and a Ginger Tom... I got chatted up by a very good looking man, who loved my English accent and just wanted to keep me talking...  I have no objection to flattery, even if it’s just about my accent, and even if the man involved is definitely gay.   So rare to be chatted up by a good looking man, I wasn’t complaining!

Then we went to a Japanese restaurant, choosing the 7 course tasting menu and a jug of sake.   The food was amazing, delicious, sublime.  The sake went to my head.  I had an awesome time, getting reacquainted with an old friend, we shared a number of confidences and I hope we get to spend many more such evenings together.

About emily_abroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.