Existing Member?

Flowers of Seville

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

SPAIN | Monday, 21 February 2011 | Views [375] | Scholarship Entry

It was my final night in Seville and I was not ready to give it up. Still unused to the warmth of a Mediterranean November, I sat outside a cafe in the narrow streets. The cafes seem to open in bunches around haphazardly placed plazas, reminding me of the thick cluster of blooms on a lilac branch crowded by bees; or in the cafes’ case, eager patrons. I was visiting a friend who lived west of the Guadalquivir, the grey looping river that divides Seville, and she had turned in for the night, footsore and talked-out in the way that old friends are after a week of reunion.

I was not tired, however, and had no intention of sleeping through all my final hours in a city that awakens at 10:00PM. It is tempting to credit Seville’s nocturnal tendency to the afternoon siesta – three hours during which Sevillanos close shop, eat light lunches, and give the other Western financial markets a chance to surpass them – or to a desire to work off heavy cenas, or dinners, served after 9:30PM. In truth, the city owes its nightlife to a quixotic merging of culture and architecture: it is built for people to be together outside. While other European cities tout their pubs, clubs, or operas, Seville beckons with open-air bullfighting stadiums, fountains, tiny bars whose flamencos spill outside when guests join in with castanets in hand, and most uniquely, tributes to Don Juan Tenorio, legendary womanizer and personification of Spain’s medieval past.

It was to one of these tributes that I was drawn as I left the café and deliberately lost myself, meandering from plaza to plaza as the night drew its tendrils closely over the city’s convivial bustle. I came upon a crowd of young men gathered around one of Don Juan’s effigies that smirked welcomingly. I couldn’t fully translate the idiom-filled innuendo in the leader’s boyish voice. Balancing precariously on the statue’s pedestal, he read aloud a dramatic story of willing seduction and then draped the statue in multicolored sashes. At he did so, guitars, percussion, and brass instruments materialized and the crowd broke into song. It rollickingly repeated, ‘Don Juan Tenorio!’ – ‘TeNOrio!’ came the echo – ‘He loved them and left them, flowering Sevillanas in full bloom, Don Juan!’

With a rousing shout, the leader leapt down, instructing his followers to move to the next plaza to find their flowering Sevillanas. When they had gone, rowdy choruses echoing down the alleys after them, I approached the statue, an eyebrow raised, confronting this monument to machismo. Roses lay scattered about its base. As I stood, other women who had been watching came and picked up the roses, laughing and running off in the direction of the singers. I picked up one myself and ran a fingertip over places where the rose’s thorns had been meticulously removed, perhaps in an attempt to convince all flowering Sevillanas of the painlessness of love. I smiled, an Americana, and quite unconvinced.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About emclark


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.