Existing Member?

Adventures on the Loose

Pachacamac & Casino

PERU | Tuesday, 1 September 2009 | Views [498] | Comments [1]

Ruins of the Temple of the Sun at Pachacamac with Pacific Ocean.

Ruins of the Temple of the Sun at Pachacamac with Pacific Ocean.

Not too much terribly interesting has happened the last few days. I have done a lot of walking around town and some resting and watching people. I visited the rocky beach of Barranco yesterday and took a tour of Pachacamac this morning. It was a bilingual tour, and the guide spoke such good Spanish that I almost didn´t listen to the English! We toured the ruins of Pachacamac, including a residential area, the Temple of the Sun, and the Temple of the Moon. It was interesting seeing layers of culture under the better-known Incas. I was also able to see the district of Chorrillos, which I missed walking around Barranco.  (They are next to each other.) I also had a random dinner with my hostel roommate, her friend, and her friend´s coworkers, and her friend´s coworker´s family members. It was 95% Spanish, and I think I did pretty well, overall. Maloy and I have had fun conversing...me in Spanish and her in English. We´re both on about the same level and do pretty well with our Spanglish. Best phrase so far: ¨¡Too much comida!¨  (that´s food for all you non-Spanish speakers)

This afternoon, I spent some quality time in a few different bookstores, trying to find something juvenille-level to read in Spanish, but to no avail. I´m not sure my abilities are that advanced yet, even with my handy dandy little dictionary, and 99% of the books here are wrapped in plastic and too expensive to risk it. So, instead I went to one of the 2000+ casinos in town.  ¡Yo ganó!  I won!  I was so excited, I even asked one of the men working if I was saying it correctly in Spanish. He smiled, said yes, and walked away...probably laughing because I was so happy about winning $15. But still, that´s like S/.45.00! Aaaand, it´s way better than losing, which is normal for me!  Aaaaand, it included one very strong rum and coke.  :)

On a completely separate note, I think I am addicted to the pan de pizza (pizza bread) here.  I´ve had it for breakfast about 4 times, and I had some for dinner tonight, too.  You can get two big fist-sized rolls of bread, ham, and cheese for about 50 cents at the grocery store.  It´s soooo yummy!  And I don´t know if I´ll be able to find it anywhere else.

Comments

1

Erin, I love reading all about your travels and new
experiences....must admit I am a little jealous that I am not there with you. Have fun...D

  Aunt Daryl Sep 5, 2009 8:24 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.