Existing Member?

Embracing This World

The sun, the sea and Vesuvius

ITALY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

I was woken up by the sound of a man shouting on the street, it was morning already. I opened the window and took a deep breath, the air was filled with freshness of the rain that fell during the night. The streets were already filled with people all in a hurry to seize the day. It was indeed a beautiful sunny day in late November.
As I walked those old volcanic stones of which the residents had built their streets, I gazed at the stunning architecture all around me and for a moment felt the history these old buildings convey. Years, even centuries before me many artists had walked these narrow streets, finding their inspiration here. I wondered what story every one of these walls hide behind them.
People were bumping into me as I continued to explore the busy streets. Everyone was speaking and laughing loudly and I could feel the free spirit that people carry in expressing easily their opinions, thoughts and emotions. The aroma of freshly baked sweet pastries and coffee filled the air as I walked by the crowded cafes, surrounded by people having their on foot quick breakfast and coffee. Apparently people here Naples like their coffee short and strong, drinking it quickly on the bar.
I strolled down from the vibrating and loud streets into the serenity of the sea. The sun was up in the sky reflecting on the calm weaves. Across mounted all so proudly the Vesuvius, that remarkable volcano that once brought fear and devastation to these lands, now quietly watching over the city like a colossal guard. The sky was clear, except one little cloud that covered the volcano.
The sun caressed my hair as I took a moment to feel the soft sea breeze on my face. Suddenly elation overtook my entire being. I belong here in this marvelous world and I’m in love with it so very deeply. There are days that bring light to our eyes, days that we will never forget. This was one of those days.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About embracingthisworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.