Existing Member?

The Red Road

The Nullarbor

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [192] | Scholarship Entry

Now, I wouldn't exactly call this a 'travel treasure' as it were, but I do feel it is severely overlooked when people decide to travel Australia. In fact, I'm pretty sure the majority of the West Coast is grossly discarded by many backpackers and tourists. This is what makes Western Australia my favourite adventure since arriving in Australia, but I digress.
The Nullarbor, in laymen's terms, is a very, very, very long road. There is not much on this road, just a flat road with not many trees around, or very much of anything else really. So yes, I can see why it is not deemed 'worthy' for many Australia trips, but for me it will always be one of the most memorable adventures I had in Australia.
My boyfriend Callum, and myself had rented a campervan from Lucky Rentals, at a bargain price of $10 a day. It is the sister company of the more widely known Jucy Rentals which operates on the East coast, and for who I had worked for whilst in Sydney. Prior to going we were warned by numerous people; 'there's nothing to see, just catch a plane!' But we went anyway, as you do. Our quirky little van, who we named Millie, was 18 years old and had 450,000 kms on the clock so just reaching the Nullarbor from Sydney was an impressive feat in our eyes. For three days we drove without seeing much more than dead kangaroo carcasses on the side of the road and the occasional mad cyclist. Our time zones had changed so many times that once we drove for 15 hours as neither of us noticed!
When you're driving the Nullarbor, its like you become part of a very exclusive group. Not everyone who has visited Australia has done this and it's as if everyone currently driving it recognises this, as everyone waves at you as they pass. Sure, this sounds odd but it's the best pick me up you could ask for whilst driving an endless road. Other entertaining aspects are the road signs that constantly change. They offer promises of possible sightings of kangaroos and dancing camels. Safe to say we saw neither, our closest encounter with nature was hitting a kangaroo carcass and having the oil light come on when we were 200 kms from the closest ANYTHING. Which was a very thrilling and exciting experience!
Renting a campervan for the East coast would be great, if a bit of a generic achievement. Renting a campervan and driving to WA, now that offers an experience of basic cooking, nights under an unpolluted night sky and a story that's different from anyone else's.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About em-salkeld7


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.