Existing Member?

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

Sunday Goodbyes

FIJI | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [399] | Scholarship Entry

Curiosity and the sense of wonder are two things that should not be left unpacked in any travel. This is what I learnt on the first of three islands I visited in Fiji with my friend Stefi.

Arriving to Nabua Lodge, our accommodation in Nacula Island, meant going back to basics: rustic bungalows aligned by the shore and a common room served as reception, activities and dining hall. There was no air con, no Internet, barely any phone reception; and given that we had paid for the cheapest option, we also didn’t have hot water in our showers (an unknown fact to us upon booking – always double check!). Both Stefi and I decided we could make do without any of those luxuries. After all, great things never came from comfort zones.

It was fun exploring the Lodge’s neighbouring beaches, basking in the sun and venturing on snorkeling trips. We bonded with locals and we heard about their town close to the Lodge, but with so many other activities going on, we couldn’t fit it in our schedule. Big mistake we came to regret.

Sunday was our last day in Nacula, and as we were taking a stroll along the beach after lunch we ran into a curious scene: a boat overflowing with buzzing kids was anchored to the shore, as slim men loaded its deck with boxes and bags. Scattered along the sand were women dressed in simple Fijian attire, surrounded by toddlers and backpacks. The women hugged the children that then hopped on the boat, while the toddlers approached us for entertainment. We felt like we had interrupted a very personal moment for these people, but they welcomed us like we were family.

One of the mothers explained that the only school was on the other side of the island, so all kids as young as 5 years old took the boat to live and study onsite. The boat came back on Friday, with the kids maybe an inch taller, until Sunday after lunch came, when they had to say goodbye again. Such was life on the island.

I fought back tears as I waved at the receding boat. These families were giving up watching their kids grow up next to them in turn for an education… I was awed.

If you plan on going to Nacula Island, definitely include a visit to the town, and even try to get a private boat to take you to see and volunteer at the school for the day. And if you get around the shore on Sundays after lunch, you will be able to wave the kids goodbye.

It was such a different reality to mine that I felt thankful for being in the right place at the right time. And you will, too.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About elucynovich


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.