Existing Member?

the World to a City

The Romance of Balance

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 7 May 2015 | Views [107] | Scholarship Entry

Manchester is a hustling, bustling city, a Northern London, if you will. With so much going on, you can walk down Deansgate and see; barbers with the "mandem" getting "fresh trims", Starbucks with 'typical' white girls posting coffee photos to Instagram, and North Face with OCD adventure wannabe athletes deciding if that jacket really goes with those trousers.
If you really want a diverse, integrated city to spend the rest of your years in, you have found the ideal place. Big enough to make you feel independent yet public transport so well connected you are never more than a tram ride from home.
Art gallerias, bars, football museums, libraries. There is something for everyone. If you can't find something you love in Manchester you deserve an award: The Most Miserable Sod in Existence.
Sure there are 'chavs' and crime and annoying people who try to sell you their "fresh beats init lad" whenever you try to walk down the street, but they are what makes Manchester a must for anyone who doesn't want to become the equivalent of Miss Trunchbull.

A city which makes you fall in love with every single one of its attributes and downfalls, is a city I wouldn't be seen dead missing out on.

Manchester is a city of unique balance. If you don't know what you're looking for you'll never understand why you get the urge to lay down your suitcase in protest and refuse to leave again. Busy enough to have that edge and buzz of excitement, yet spacious enough to not feel pressured from stroll, to march, to jog every time you venture down Market Street.
Imagine the city life of London, substitute the antisocial atmosphere for the street performers of Barcelona, the glitz and glamour of LA, the romance of Paris and the euphoria of the World's best music festivals. Then maybe just maybe you're close to understanding what Manchester is.
Overlooked because of the far from heavenly weather, Manchester also gives you a unique sense of freedom. No expectations of what you MUST do, allowing you to cater to what you truly want from your visit.
Nowhere is perfect but if anywhere was to come even remotely close it would be here.
With the unexplored Northern Quarter, the vast range of shops, entertainment and culture, not to mention a whole globe of food available under one roof for less than £10 (Red Hot Buffet) and over 40 songs written about the city, the question isn't 'why should I go to Manchester?' it's 'why shouldn't I go to Manchester?' 'why haven't I already been?'

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ellenelizabethshillito


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.