Existing Member?

Trav.elle.r.

Ready to Go-Go

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 26 July 2012 | Views [571]

Less than a week to go! I'm still not processing it, really. All of my time is spent thinking about flights, bookings, tickets, scanning and photocopying documents, organising money, buying my travel necessities, packing, packing and more packing. I've gotten so caught up in all the minutiae of travel that I've barely allowed myself a chance to really contemplate where I'm going or what I'm going to experience. Luckily for me, I seem to have an abundance of friends who are currently or have recently been travelling in Europe and various amazing places throughout the world. Looking through their photos and seeing the friends they've made, the places they've seen and the experiences they've had is really finally getting me excited for what's to come! I only hope my experiences will be just as amazing.

Even though there's so much going on in my head lately, you wouldn't know it: I've fallen back into the incredibly lazy and unregulated lifestyle I tend adopt when I'm at home. Sleeping till midday (or later), staying up till 4 or 5 a.m., getting caught up in never-ending YouTube-watching cycles and the like, only to finally make my way out of the house around 3 p.m. just to wander aimlessly around down the street or at the shops in search of anything I might have forgotten to buy or to pack. I haven't seen anyone but my parents the last two days, so I really ought to get onto the socialising and farewelling! 3 full days left in Warrnambool.

I'll hopefully be heading back to the house in Oakleigh Friday night to say goodbye to all the Melbourne folk. Then I have my last Cats game for the year in Geelong with my dad on Saturday before heading to Ocean Grove to see my sister's family for the first time in several weeks and the last time for many months! I'm looking forward to it.

All of this means I really have to get packing in order to have everything organised in time for me to catch the midday train on Friday. The problem is that I just keep over-thinking everything to the point where it's kind of becoming ridiculous! I know I'll forget things or not think of things, but I'm sure it'll all sort itself out once I get over there. I need to let the stress-head over-thinker side of my self fall to the wayside for once.

In other news, I got my new computer on Saturday! It's beautiful: a Dell XPS 14z. It's much faster, cleaner, bigger (internally) and more compact (externally) than my old reliable, and I'm already a little in love. I'll miss my old ASUS, but Mum and Dad'll keep him company while I'm gone. Transferring files was a bugger; I tried to use Windows Easy Transfer which promised to take over 3 days, and eventually stopped working when my computer restarted itself in the middle of the night to install updates. Turns out manually transferring files onto my external hard-drive and then onto my Dell was much simpler and faster. I am missing my play counts and playlists on iTunes, though! Still, starting from scratch has helped me rediscover some music I haven't listened to in forever, so: every cloud, silver lining etc.

I just fake-tanned myself like the albino I am in preparation for being thrust into summer next Monday. I'd forgotten how sickly it smelt; I haven't used it since the very beginning of the year. It'll probably fade within the first few days but maybe this summer I'll actually tan? I'd say it's unlikely given my track record. And honestly if I were ever to tan it probably wouldn't be in the UK, where I hear even summer is cold and rainy. Just like good ol' Warrnambool. Maybe it'll feel like home.

Tags: countdown, preparations

About ellelouisea


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.