Existing Member?

Exploringtheworldinsmallsteps

Volleying through Vietnam

VIETNAM | Saturday, 2 May 2015 | Views [145] | Scholarship Entry

There's only two ways to travel in Vietnam, you either bike it, with at least 5 of you on one moped because it's really safe over here or slowly shuffle down the packed and dusty streets of clad in your newly purchased knock-off Havana flip flops that you got for $1 from a street seller. To your left are hundreds of makeshift bamboo stalls and war wounded beings carrying their entire stalls on their backs. To your right, the same scene stretching out for 2 miles. Where are you? One of the many street markets of Vietnam. Trying to spot something that is westerners would label as 'normal ' is quite the task, especially when it comes to the cuisine on the streets. Being battered from all angles by the locals as they scurry around expertly seeking out their preferences stalls. We look like amateurs and it can only proceed to become more amateur like as we stand at a stall and watch open mouthed whilst squirming. A woman crouched down at floor level unblinkingly rips the skin of live frogs then throws them onto a pile of at least 100 more skinless and struggling frogs. After all frogs are skinned she goes on to pick each one up and shears the head off in one smooth slicing motion as we watch in horror from the sidelines. The frogs hearts slowly stop beating and all limbs fail to move, "you want to try one?" She aggressively asks us after getting sick of us being good there for a good 15 minutes with faces of disgust turned her way.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ellaswalker


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.