Existing Member?

Dont Stop Me Now

The Rocky Road to Paradise

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 20 May 2015 | Views [123] | Scholarship Entry

The journey to find paradise had been an adventurous one. Whilst discussing our plans with a local, the only advice we were given was 'wear shoes'.

'It must be a long walk' I said, 'how hard can it be?!'.

A long walk it was. In the midday sun spotting monkeys for entertainment, I followed the flip flop markers through the dense jungle. Spirits were high as I heard the crashing of waves close by but little did I know what faced me before I could bathe my sweat soaked body.

Turning back crossed my mind when I saw the sheer drop to be abseiled but I knew I couldnt give up, not when I was so close. My body was tired but my mind was eager to keep going.

I had to see this place, the beach I'd heard so much about. I could hear it just a few (okay, maybe more than a few) meters below me.

The sand, which felt like powder beneath my feet and stretched out for miles, was met by sea so blue, I'm sure it had been photoshopped. The sound of rustling trees had been replaced by the faint lapping of waves and the occasionally rusty motor from a taxi boat. I was in heaven.

But no I wasn't dead, I hadn't fallen and hit my head on the rocky road down. In fact, I had found my happy place. And my god, it was beautiful!

The feeling of accomplishment was so strong as I walked through the clearing in the trees that it filled me with emotion. Despite the trepid and exhausting trek, I had made it and the reward was overwhelming.

The warm, clear sea was perfect for snorkelling amongst the unsuspecting fish, there was no rubbish littering the sand and no loud pumping of western dance hits to pollute the air. As the sun went down, the sky turned a colour only describable as a sex on the beach cocktail (or maybe that was just my mind's cravings after my long trek) and I reflected on what a perfect day it had been.

My only regret was not camping on Long Beach. Although the idea of spending a night in a tent in a country where mosquitos can kill you and on a beach with no basic amenities doesn't sound too appealing at first, when I look back I am teased by the remarkable experience it could have been.

When I find myself outside my comfort zone, whether physically or emotionally, I always think back to the times I spent on Long Beach, as my living proof of what fantastic rewards challenges facing me can bring.

It is is no secret that Cambodia boasts some of the most beautiful beaches and whilst finding the best one was not easy, it was sure as hell worth it!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About elladaisy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.