Existing Member?

eliza's adventures

xmas in berlin

GERMANY | Tuesday, 25 December 2007 | Views [368]

It is our fifth day here in Berlin... and Xmas! Not much to do today because everything is closed. We're planning to go to a movie and then maybe to Church. So far Berlin is excellent. A very approachable friendly city. Kind of like the Chicago of Europe, it's easy to feel very comfortable here.

Saying goodbye to Son Rullan wasn't as sad as I thought it would be, even though we had a wonderful time there. It was just too damn cold all the time. It's colder here in Berlin but our hostel is warm warm warm which makes a huge difference. Being cold all the time is just very exhausting and our last few days in Mallorca were incredibly windy. We couldn't sleep at night because doors were always slamming and the wind even broke a few windows. We left in the middle of the night last Friday and walked down the hill in the dark. Fitting to leave as we arrived - in the moonlight.


Our best discovery in Berlin so far is a place called Schwarzes Cafe, this funny little bohemian restaurant started by student radicals. The building itself is very cool, lots of peeling gilded ceilings, dark red walls, and plush sofas. The food is very very tasty. Our favorites are their quiche, served with a warm gorgonzola sauce, and their german noodles with cheese. Yum yum yum. Also very good beer.

Otherwise, we've been trying to accomplish at least one touristy thing a day. We've been to the Eastside Gallery and touched the remaining pieces of the Berlin wall (covered in incredible graffiti), the Gemaldegalerie (a museum of early European art, 14th-17th centuries, lots of early Italian religious art), and we saw the Reichstag, etc. Mostly just lots of wandering around which is my favorite way to explore a city anyhow. We've discovered that the Germans are strangely all about outside winter markets-fairs. They seem to love standing around in the freezing cold, chatting and sipping on various drinks.

Tags: Culture

About elizad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.