Existing Member?

100 Days Of Summer When your home country is covered in feet of snow and -20 is the average temperature everywhere it's important to flaunt that you aren't home! This blog documents my adventures through the Pacific and South East Asia as I enjoy exactly 100 Days of Summer.

No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem! Welcome to Whitanga!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 27 January 2014 | Views [648]

Kia Ora from Whitanga!

Danielle and I have been beaching it up in Coromandel Penninsula! The bus here was hilarious! We took a bus from Auckland to Thames, which was your classic coach bus. Then to Whitanga we took this lovely two toned island bus (that's the best I can use to describe it). It had the door wide open, huge windows, only 3-5 passengers, the bus driver chatted us up, and it drove on these crazy mountain roads! The roads were misty too so it was the coolest thing ever! It also dropped us of where we were staying, because eventually we were the only people on the bus.

In Whitanga we stayed at The Cat's Pyjamas hostel run by a nice couple. It was very small and very quirky. We spent a lot of time exploring the town and hanging out at the beach, which was beautiful. We even saw the most gorgeous rainbow this evening, but I don't think my pictures did it any justice. We also went to Hot Water Beach today! Hot Water Beach is this really cool beach where you can dig your own spa pool. The water under the sand it geothermally heated so you get this nice sand spa pool. The tide was too high when we got there though, so we buried ourselves in sand and sadness, then played in the waves. I got a sun burn on my calves, but a big smile on my face!!! (isn't that all that matters anyway?) Also, Danielle and I have noticed that a lot of people don't wear shoes in New Zealand. It's not just a small town thing either, there were people in Auckland without shoes. We've started a count and in one day alone we saw 21 people. Interesting eh?

We leave tomorrow for Rotorua, and Hobbiton, where there is a lot of geothermal activity, and Hobbiton, and we get to see geysers, and Hobbiton.

Oh did I mention I get to see Hobbiton in two day?

Tags: beaches, coromandel, hot water beach, no shoes, whitanga

 

About elizabethkfmurphy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.