Existing Member?

Soaking up the Local Life

Taking off

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 13 June 2014 | Views [297]

So today marks 1 month that I have left before I absolutely HAVE to step out of the lab and my 3 year long Master's project. Today in a month's time, my adopted-on-every-aspect-except-paper sister is getting married to a fantastic guy so by 3pm I must be all packed and wrapped up and in Paarl for the ceremony and celebrations...

 

And the next morning, on the 13th of July, I set off on a blerrie long winded (heyhey!) flight to France. To land at 14:00 on the 14th of July in Paris. THE place you want to be on Bastille Day!

 

And this day, the 13th marks the start of two months of the long anticipated discovery of Europe. At 26, I've done the UK, the Middle East and the US all on my own means save my US flight as a well timed and very fortunate gift from my dad, in the plight of love. (My first true love was there on a scholarship at Princeton the clever boy. Yet our love ran not true and my heart's desire remains here in Stellenbosch. Estranged.) So I am headed North for the winter!

 

But the joys of my trip will wait til the 13th to be regaled. My story now is this: I am happy in my now.

 

The dreaded winter I'm planning my escape from.

My Masters I just want to end.

The man I miss like hell, but who's ego has been to bruised to return the heartfelt messages.

 

I am sitting here excited for the snuggly weather, alone in my bed. I have purchased a blue unicorn (a blunicorn*) onesie which is my thesis onesie and a bear hat to keep me ears warm outside.

 

I am reading articles that jump out at me instead of send me to sleep or despair. I am writing when my heart feels poetic. My thesis will be a work of art. I love my friends whose couch I am crashing on to survive these past few months. Its set to be the coldest winter yet. With snow in June! And coming down to the streets of Cape Town! And minus temperatures!!!

 

I can survive this month. I can ENJOY this month. I can finish the mammoth load of labwork and get both data and significant statistics. And I will get my Schengen Visa.

 

I have found my Flow and learnt to be happy in my now. Not keeping my happiness bound until I go on my next Escape. This one is gonna be good. This one is already good.

Tags: now

About elizabeth_darielo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.