Existing Member?

My Walkabout Who needs to graduate anyways?

National Gymnastics Congress- Minnesota.

USA | Monday, 22 August 2011 | Views [297]

So the stars aligned just so that meant that Camp finished on a Wednesday, we all left on Thursday... Thursday was the first day of a 3-day long National Gymnastics congress... as it just so happened. So without much to do and the thought of just 'being in the neighbourhood' for something which probably comes around once I booked a flight, got a hostel and just decided to see what happens when I made it to the other side.

I did my research a little, found out what was being offered: trade show, Visa National Championships, congress, free food, Hall of Fame awards. I figured there was enough there to make it worth while and so that was that. I arrived in Minneapolis after spending an hour on the tarmac in Philly. Got a taxi. Told the taxi where to go. Argued with the taxi driver because he didn't know where this large important landmark was and didn't know how to find it with his GPS. Told the driver to drive whilst I used his GPS to find where I wanted to go.

Landed at the congress with all my bags. (I purposely packed carry-on style while the rest of my stuff is in Maggie's hands.) Turned 400 dollars into a backpack and a lanyard... the key for the next 3 days. I was so scared and overwhelmed to be there that I was shaking through filling out my registration form. The lady there said I wasn't the only Aussie here. Did I know them? No. Do you recall any of the names? Well yes... 'blah blah' is here and so is 'blah blahblah' Blah Blahblah? Well gosh he's my old gymnastics coach!

Whilst I waited for the last lecture of the day I visited the trade show hall and did a little shmoozing of the equipment retailers and shopped for catalogues for camp and back home. Made it to the last lecture. Spent it learning about warm up games which generally included a costume change. AWESOME. 

Zipped out after the lecture, jumped on a random bus around the corner which said Downtown Minneapolis and figured that was around about where I wanted to go to check-in to my hostel. I had studied the map a few times to look at distances and directions, and whilst the main part of town is around 5th and 7th streets my hostel was down down on 24th street, so when I got let off I had a bit of walking to do. It was the night of a Twin Cities game so there was people about. Pedal pub?? and nice weather so i strolled hopefully in the right direction to the Minneapolis International Hostel. 

About elise_wilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.