Existing Member?

Dreaming of a World Community

A World Community | Junko

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 7 September 2015 | Views [246] | Scholarship Entry

I’m Elina, a 21 year old half Kiwi, half Japanese self-titled ‘filmventurer’. I’m currently in the final months of my studies before I graduate with a Bachelor of Communications, majoring in Screen Production, with a minor in Digital Media. Adventures and experiences are what I live for, and I am continuously trying to push the boundaries of my comfort zone – in all aspects of my life. Being a Volunteer Firefighter and Surf Lifeguard, I have come to really value the concept of community, and how important they are to protect. At the end of the day, people are what matter and in terms of storytelling, they are what bring it to life.

Growing up in an interesting environment (just Google: Moonies), I quickly came to realise that everyone has a story to tell. The ability that Documentary has to bring attention to these untold stories is pretty amazing, and a big responsibility. It’s the path I want to take, and my passion that I am going to pursue.

I think this opportunity is exactly what I’ve been searching for. Through the cultural immersion and experience of seeing the world through another community’s eyes, I will benefit so much in expanding my awareness of this Colombian community and subsequently, the world. Not only this, but building my documentary filmmaking skills with Brian Rapsey as a Mentor, is an opportunity that I do not want to miss. To me, the timing just seems perfect to start my journey of striving to make a living doing what I love.

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

About elinaosborne


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.