Existing Member?

Secret door

Painted door

BELGIUM | Thursday, 7 May 2015 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

I was looking at the Manneken Pis, a sculpture of a naked little boy peeing into a fountain's basin in Brussels. Dozens of men and women were taking pictures of it and selfies with big smiles and fingers pointing at the little boy made of bronze. It was crowded, it was loud. Standing at the corner of Rue de l'Étuve/Stoofstraat and Rue du Chêne/Eikstraat I stood there wanting to escape the noise and the multitude.
I was looking at the people strolling by the street when something caught my eye. I could see down the Rue du Chêne a big painting on the wall. There were lots of colors. Without a second thought I walked there and once I stood in front of it I noticed that the loud voices were nowhere to be heard. No one was near me either. It was quiet. And my undivided attention was on the huge painting three stories high on the wall of an alley. There it was the Manneken Peace, the same boy dressed with a blue jacket, a white t-shirt and white sneakers. In his hand he held a hose, water flowing freely of its opening. It was full of life, it was funny and witty.
But then I look inside the alley. At the end there was a door, but not any door. It was painted too. It was a beautiful forest with bright green leaves and sunlight streaming into the ground. It looked so real that you could almost see how the branches moved in the soft breeze. I was hypnotized. It was perfect, so faithfully reproduced that it made you think i was magical. Maybe that door led to another place maybe to that forest. I just stood there, not sure for how long. I was transfixed, I couldn't leave but I couldn't step forward either. The silence and the absence of people made it even more surreal. What was I looking? What if the door led to somewhere? What if it didn't? I didn't want to know. I just admired it and reveled in the feeling of uncertainty and of being witness to something secret, immaculate.
After a while I turned around and went back to the crowd. I left that place exactly how I had found it, in silence and deserted.
If you want to see it, be part of that silence and look that secret door longingly you just have to stand with your back at the Manneken Pis and turn left down Rue du Chêne. You will see the colors on the wall of the other Manneken and there at the end of that alley the door is waiting.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About elianag


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.