Existing Member?

Tarzan, chocolate and yoga in Costa Rica

An Italian Tarzan in Costa Rica

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [216] | Scholarship Entry

As the moist air wraps your body in a blanket, your eyes drift between swaying coconuts and bicycle wheels on a sun-kissed concrete. Puerto Viejo, on the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica, is trenched in sugar-like sand whilst bodies spread on it like butter. The pairs of arms hugging yoga mats confirm the idea that yoga in Puerto Viejo is a must. You join the hype and head towards a studio located above a small wooden chocolate shop. You stumble across a yoga sign pointing to a 500 metre walk through the jungle and you mistake it for the yoga studio you are looking for.
You undertake the trail buried under green trees and lose yourself in the tropical naturalness. Up a damp hill you find concrete steps leading towards a tree-house. There you meet Matteo who welcomes your thirsty body and offers you water and fruit. As your soles warm to the vegetation, Matteo retails his story and your journey instantly turns magical. He explains how he abandoned Italy's hectic lifestyle for the heart of the Costa Rican jungle and built a wooden house where he teaches yoga surrounded in rich plantation. It amazes you that this man left his comfort zone to embark on a voyage where life is simpler. It fascinates you how randomly you encountered this persona, that although this was not you destined location, and although you hiked through rough plantation and wiped your sweat on webbed-shaped leafs, you are memorized by the surprises the alternative route has on offer. You feel awe stroked by this life choice that it makes you wonder about your own, and you find a sudden urge to discover more people's stories. The sound of howler monkeys is your cue to go and you leave Matteo and his jungle behind. His jade eyes wave goodbye as you push off mosquitoes from your legs.
Upon return to the concrete floor your eyes meet a small chocolate shop with various yoginis and you realise that what you were searching for had been there all along. Your cheeks reach your ears as you chuckle to yourself, content about your Tarzan adventure.
When you recount to others your ventures, you advise them to visit Matteo, break-up a sweat with a rented bike, go for a yoga class and afterwards indulge into a coffee and chocolate breakfast in the cafe underneath the studio, with a view of fairy-kissed trees and the sound of crashing waves. You tell them to listen to their itchy feet, pick up their passport and paint their canvas with travel's palette.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About eleniph


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.