Existing Member?

Celebration

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [131] | Scholarship Entry

Japan on a day off from conquering the world

Crimson red,royal blue, splashes of colors were everything I could see.The noise was deafening and the heat was almost painful.I felt as if in the last 20 minutes I had lost an amount of water comparable to Pacific Ocean.Fortunately, a kakigori stand emerged from the crowd.That is the Japanese drink essential for survival in summertime, made in the simplest way, with shaved ice and fruity syrups;strawberry was my drug of choice.However, the heat did not impact my appetite.A friendly stand owner made me an okonomiyaki, a ridiculously good pancake with pork, veggies covered in a rich savory sweet sauce.The perfect fried egg and the fresh-made firm noodles on the top,made the dish flawless.It was such a natural combo for him and a delightful chef worthy creation for me.
This was matsuri, the Japanese word for local festival.To put it in western words it was “a mad frenzy where euphoria seized control over an entire nation”.Who knew the Japanese had Woodstock in their blood as well?The women wearing brightly colored yukatas seemed very much aware of their desirability, making way through the crowd with subtlety, strength, and grace.It was the replica of a vibrant post-impressionism painting.Joyfulness was surprisingly contagious.In no time,I found myself happy, grateful for everything around me.The parade was surreal, an abundance of color,rhythms,synchronized dances. People of all ages and sizes performed with faultless precision, capturing my attention and I could only assume everyone else’s.I lost all sense of time.I was in a fairy tale,surrounded by the unknown.The instruments sounded perfect,even though I couldn’t recognize any of them.If you paid attention you could distinguish the sound of the bamboo flutes balancing the roughness of the horns and strings.A perfect harmony, every piece fell into place;it was a tribute to creation,survival and life. And it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About elena3


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.