Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

Totally Tropical!

NICARAGUA | Saturday, 24 January 2009 | Views [967] | Comments [4]

They say that if you dont like the weather on The Corn Islands, just wait 5 minutes.  After having  waited for weeks for the internet weather reports to clear up I thought to hell with it and booked the trip. It was worth it just for the plane ride on a tiny 12 seater in which the pilot had to stand up from his seat to see over the `dashboard´.  We flew from Managua, over Lake Nicaragua, the sparsely populted remote regions of Chontales and Atlantico Sur and finally the Caribbean sea until the pristine azul waters, white sand and thick green vegetation came into view.  After an hour´s flight in what seemed like nothing more than a baked bean can we touched down on Big Corn and were met by a taxi driver who said `nah man we dont got no rain here fah weeks´. Great. 

The next morning we took the panga to Little Corn Island which was headed by a huge black dude laden with chunky gold jewellery who stood at the front of the boat (bow?) like a great Congolese warrior. The ride was very bumpy and very wet but I just about managed to hold on to my breakfast.  The island is like something out of a fantasy and what I dreamed the Caribbean would be like when I was young.  Little Corn has no roads, no cars and you cant ride your bicycle past 6pm at night! Perfect, nothing but the sounds of the jungle, the waves and the occasional shriek from me ´that bloody great crab is under the bed again!

We found lodging in Graces Cool Spot a rasta vibe set of bamboo huts right on the beach, a 30 second roll from bed to turquoise waters in the morning.  We were quickly adopted by a little kitten who we named Marlowe and a puppy whose mum wouldnt feed him.  We didnt name the puppy as that would get us too attached.´ We were on the island for full moon which was so bright that flashlights were not needed when walking at night, the sand literally glowed.

Everyone on the island was diving so I decided to attempt to overcome my fear of deep dark water and did a DSD Try Dive.  I loved it so much that I started my PADI Open Water qualification that afternoon and three days later I was certified!  The underwater world was incredible, just like Finding Nemo, like an under water coral garden city with subways, high rise flats and fish cleaning stations.  We saw brightly coloured fish, sea cucmbers, sting rays, mantarays and eaglerays and I even touched a Nurse Shark.

As is typical on a island with temporamental electricity and very little contact with the world beyond there was not a lot else to do and thus not much else to report.  I taught the little girl who peddled round the island selling coconut bread how to do poi and ate fish. I could have stayed forever.

 

Comments

1

Well ... I still can`t see what`s wrong with good old Goodrington beach ? Plenty of people save -up all their money too, to spend a few balmy afternoons lounging on its sandy shores..?Speaking of beaches,it`s nearly time for the Beesands re-union.. hope someone`s up for it or I shall be there all on my own. I know it`s not quite the carribean but then who wants a crab under their bed ... eh?xxxxxxxx p.s. Hope Ewen, Emma & Phil enjoyed Burn`s nite. I tried to TXT Ewen ,then discovered I only had 10 digits for his no ! XX

  The Muzzler Jan 27, 2009 5:43 AM

2

Well Ele-it all sounds fantastic.....except for the crabs under the bed....it sounds like the trip of a life time...I so want to do some travel.!!!!-one day Alls well here..we went to Burns supper at Alisons on Sat..which we enjoyed. Pretty busy with usual things...it all sounds a bit January here & tedious compared with what you are doing!!!
Thinking about you & heres to yhe next installment!
Maryxxxx & Co xxxx

  Mary Jan 27, 2009 9:35 AM

3

all sounds so wonderful and you really are having a great time, wished I could have done all this when I was younger good on you for doing it.
You will not be missing all the wet cold weather we are having here at the moment.
Lots of Love
Take Care

xxxxxxxx

  Heather Jan 31, 2009 3:01 AM

4

bliss factometer off the level. We had a snow day yesterday, got the day off as all public transport collapsed! So we had a snowball fight and drank mulled wine. Pretty different to your world. Am really jealous of all these new scuba experts. Thinking of you.
beck x

  Brunion Feb 4, 2009 1:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.