Existing Member?

The everyday experience

A European awe

POLAND | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [309] | Scholarship Entry

It was my first time traveling through Europe, my friend and I took a train from a Czech city heading to Krakow in Poland. We arrived at a small city in between to switch to a bus completing our journey to the Polish land. While crossing the gates between the two cities, the bus was pulled over by three Polish police officers to check the passengers' passports and verify our identifications. my friend had left her passport with her host family back at the Czech city and only had a copy of the passport on board with her. We didn't give it much thought, until we were sure that they wanted the original passport so they could verify who she is. Tension began to grow and worry filled our shivering bodies in the one degree weather of the city of Katowice. After talking with the police officers and trying to resolve the dilemma, they insisted that they needed the official passport to verify my friend's identification. That's when it hit us, it was going to be a long night. So, we took our luggage from the bus and the driver went on the road without us. We rode with the police officers to the police station after calling my friends' host family in Czech Republic and agreeing to come to Poland with her passport to have her released from the police station. My friend was officially arrested and I had to be with her during this. After a one hour ride to the police station and reading my friend her rights, we waited there for three hours for the host family to arrive with the passport. My friend started to snap back from the shock and tears started pouring out, I comforted her in a way that any friend would have. We began to realize the fun part about the situation, it's her first time getting arrested and it's in Poland. Now, this is going to be a very good story for the friends and future generations. Finally, after the hours had passed, the passport arrived with the family, it was nearly eleven at night. The police officers released my friend and me along with her. We expressed endless gratitude for the family and for what they had done for us. Shortly after, they drove us back to the train station where we waited for two more hours to take the first train heading to Krakow. 9 pm was our original arrival time but now it's dawn and the sun was about to shine upon us after arriving at six in the morning in Krakow to light our path in search for the hostel we're staying at, another long day ahead of us.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About egyptianobserver


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.