Existing Member?

Throwing away the Ruby Slippers

Kinloch Lodge

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 12 April 2007 | Views [516]

Hello.

I decided to stay an extra week in Kinloch, in order to take care of some stuff that I've been putting off (like fixing my leaking Camelbak & ThermaRest--the Camelbak has leaked since I got it 2 yrs ago, the ThermaRest just the last month), to continue living like a queen (kind of), & to hike part of the Routeburn track.

I've been loving my "cupboard above the stairs" as Toni (my hostess) refers to my room.  after all, I look out onto the lake & mtns, which is esp pretty @ dawn, when I briefly awaken, peek out the window to see what glory the day brings, & fall back into bed for my last brief moments of sleep, before I care for the terrors (we have an understanding now of what we're willing to put up w/, so we get along a lot better than @ first.  plus, I know a lot better what they're allowed, where we can go, etc.), help w/ housekeeping, help in the restaurant, etc.  I must say, however, that I'm sick of working!  I can't wait for it to be done, esp b/c I've worked everyday, no day off, all split shifts, meaning I'm always thinking about work/ getting to work on time/ what else I need to get done for work, etc.

I did get a few hours off Tues to hike as much of the Routeburn as possible before biking 18k (~10 miles, I think) back to work.  So, I got up & got the kids breakfast & dressed, 8-9:30, caught a ride in a van to the start of the track, then passed hoardes of ppl as I booked it along, trying to make it to McKenzie Saddle, which most ppl take 8 hrs thereabouts to do (w/ full backpacks).  People definitely gave me odd looks & comments as I raced past.  the 1st part was flat, almost boring (I'm becoming so spoiled!), then I hit a big uphill (not crazy exposed or anything, just uphill) for the next 40 mins (supposed to take 2 1/2 hrs, I guess), where I came upon the huts, which are tricked out w/ flush toilets, amazing views of the valley & snow-capped mtns, & of numerous waterfalls.  After this, I tried to continue going as quickly as possible, but I hit an exposed section @ the saddle & was too underdressed & de-motivated to press on through the wind-driven rain pelting my benumbed flesh, still bedecked in my worn Umbros that are about ready to give up the ghost.  I didn't feel like continuing, knowing that I had a time deadline, & would still have to go all that way back down, as well as bike back.  Plus, I couldn't even enjoy the view, as I was in the cloud.  When I got past that windy, windy section on the return, the clouds lifted enough for me to see the glory before me, spectacular views, even though I wasn't @ the top.  got to see some blue snow, too.  my gear dried in the wind of my bike ride back to the ranch, & I even had time to leisurely shower, eat dinner, & get to work, as the entire endeavor only took 6 hrs.  sweet as!

As for my esteemed Umbros, that I've been wearing constantly for the past, oh, 5 yrs, I'd say, that have made the cut clothing-wise for every single one of my trips, have just about had it.  I need to sew them up, as they're split down the outside of 1 leg, the inside of the other leg, & w/ a hole in the crotch!  This all occurred sometime last month, just after I'd been blown away by their enormous staying power, as I put those things through tons of abuse, as you can imagine.  I can't imagine going on a trip w/o them; I'll either have to buy a new pair of shorts to lug about w/ me, or hope that my poor sewing skills are up to the challenge of repairing them.  after all, I need something for Galapagos!

So I'll be here @ Kinloch through the weekend, before I head back to Christchurch by Tues to pick up my college friend Teri for her 10-day tour.  Now I need to figure out a way to get to CC, as that's where Liz dropped the van off, @ the Wenborn's/Bri's house, where we stayed previously.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About egdoster


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.