Existing Member?

Throwing away the Ruby Slippers

trek & nannying

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 24 March 2007 | Views [401]

Today was beautiful--we keep ending up back in Queenstown, not b/c we're enamored of the place, but b/c of the convenience--easy access to showers, free 3-min e-mail checks & decent prices on internet, etc. 

Yesterday, I was able to obtain a job in Glenorchy starting Mon, so we've had a couple days to kill.  Thus, we took another awesome trek up the mtn, starting @ a track near the gondola that goes up a steep, steep hill, then on the Ben Lomond track to the top of the mtn, w/ an excellent view of Mt. Aspiring, & lots of others.  We kicked butt, I must say, as we pretty much halved the time they say it should take, which is great for fitness/exercise!  We gained about 4000' in elevation, too!  And the view just kept getting better at each new bend or lookout.  Our fast time also enabled us to spend heaps of time @ the peak, soaking it all up.  What a gorgeous day!

As I said, I start my 2-week job in Glenorchy on Mon.  I'm quite nervous about it, as half the time I'll be caring for a 4 & 3-yr & 9-mo. old, which I've never done before!  Sure, I've babysat some, but nothing to this extent, though I'm sure it'll work out fine.  What could possibly go wrong for 2 weeks? (famous last words!)  I'll also put some time in @ the restaurant.  I think this will be my last job, enabling me to spend the rest of my time traveling about; as I've seen everything that I've wanted to see, I'll be able to re-visit favorite places or simply follow the sun back north or some such.  ah, the possibilities!

Liz is going to spend the next 2 weeks traveling w/o me.  we're not sure how/when we're going to meet up, as she's almost on her way back home.  depends on what we feel like doing after the job is done--it's way too far ahead to plan.  :)

until next time...

oh, yeah, I just uploaded some pics for the 1st time, they're from the Greenstone-Caples trail of my previous journal entry.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About egdoster


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.