Existing Member?

Discovering what my life means to me.

Finding home

USA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [136] | Scholarship Entry

Open waters, I'm out at sea, and for the first time in forever, I finally feel free. Gloomy grey clouds may engulf the sky, though now that doesn't seem to stop me. This is where you and I - don't see eye to eye. And as you find shelter, sitting safely inside your four walls, I'll be out here because I don't care at all.
Cautiously, I sit back, because I couldn't possibly find a better time to relax. So, with my little rubber boots, and my baited halibut pole, I drop a line down to the depths. Patience, and nothing else could gift me with what I so desired- even if I had known what that was. So, unexpectedly in the time that I caught that first little fish, I knew in my soul- there was nothing I could be doing that I would enjoy more.
Sure, I had been out on the ocean before, in fact, before that day I had probably been on the ocean more times than I could count. This day was different, because, for me, Alaska wasn't my home. I longed for the California coast, for it seemed it was the only destination that I desired to be. My home for ten long years, and what seemed like my entire childhood.
This one adventure changed my life, and gave me passions I had never known. Before, I was dead set on going back to my home, a place that I had always known. A place I was comfortable with every new opportunity, here I had felt like a floppy disk, and there was no room for risk.
I'll never forget that day, where out on the open water in the Prince William Sound I felt something I had never known before- thrill and rebellion in its truest form.
Overwhelmed and befuddled I sat inside of my muddle and I tried to deny this mind-boggling realization that- this is my home. At last, my passion was found. Adventure is in my nature I had just never realized. All in one sitting, and in the time it took me to reel up that first fish, my life gained a tremendous amount meaning.
That day, as I looked around, I noticed that there are always endless expeditions to be found. I gaze upon glaciers, and then swim in lakes and rivers that they have fed. I have gone four-wheeling and have gotten more lost than I’d ever known. I've hiked up mountains, and was able to look down and bask in something that not everyone else has a chance to see.
I'll never forget the day I learned that there are adventures to be obtained. That home isn't just a place that you stay; it’s the place in your heart where you never want to stray. And for some, it'll never go away. Adventures are always waiting.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About eebee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.