Existing Member?

Angolan Hidden Gem

Tundavala

ANGOLA | Saturday, 25 April 2015 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

Despite having declared the end of the civil war 13 years ago, Angola is still a vast, virgin, unexplored terrain. Just like most of it, Tundavala, despite being quite a famous landmark in Angola, is only known to a minority, while non Angolans have practically never heard of it or seen it.
Situated some 11 miles southwest of Lubango, the landmark is composed by the Tundavala Gap, a gap an astonishing 1000 metres deep, whereas its altitude goes up to 2200m at the top; the Tundavala Stones, with its intricate natural placement; the famous Leba Pass, a wavy and dangerous visible from the top of the gap, and right beside it, you will find the impossibly beautiful landscape.

Though I am an Angolan citizen, I never had the chance of visiting this amazing place until January 2013, where I decided to go on a road trip from Windhoek, Namibia, to Luanda, Angola. During my 4 day stay at the Province of Huila, an old friend of mine decided to take me there. From that day, it became my favourite natural landmark I'd have ever visited, losing only to The Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa. The combination of a favourable climate (avg temp of 15-20 degrees C during summer due to high altitudes), ultra clean air, literally no light pollution (which is perfect for stargazing and night photography) and the sensation of peace I was given when visiting that place, makes it my most memorable travel treasure of all the places in Southern Africa I've had the chance to visit. Having in mind this is a completely unknown place, I strongly recommend taking a look at it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About edsadv


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Angola

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.