Existing Member?

trip to England

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [120] | Scholarship Entry

A call arrived, which informed me of a chance to participate in a Youth exchange program with around 30 participants from all different countries in Oxford, England. That is how me and 4 of my friends got on the plane, and off we went to the great unknown, to the country that we have not ever been to before.
By the time we arrived, all of us were extremely hungry. The most appealing restaurant was Mc Donalds. It’s sad, but true. London is full of franchises and it was kind of difficult to find a restaurant that sells English specialties. We ended up with fast food.
Tummies full. So- where is the bus that will take us to Oxford? 5 pair of eyes searching for the sign: Oxford Tube Bus. Found it fast. We managed to get a front seat at the top of the double decker, happy to have a little sightseeing. After five minutes it started to rain heavily. Such as life. A car came to pick us up at the Oxford station and to took us to our final destination.
We started the following day with a 30 minute walk down to the bus station. It was worth it! Oxford is beautiful. Our tourist guide showed us the city from inside out. It was like a fairy tale. Harry Potter coming alive. Large pockets of green including spacious parks and landscaped gardens where the grass is the type of green which you can only see in movies. Buildings to which you look at, history starts to speak and you feel back in the 16th century again. The city was full rushing people and street performers playing with fire, singing and doing different tricks. It was exciting.
I talked to a lot of people and made a lot of friend from about 15 different countries during my couple of days there. Raising knowledge of differences by actual experience is the most effective. It’s not books or pictures. You ask, they answer. And most importantly, they explain. Books can never do the same. I am glad I came and I hope I will get the chance to do it again.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About edkocsis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.