Existing Member?

Living on the Edge & Edging the Living

Never again (?)

ITALY | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [186] | Scholarship Entry

CHAPTER 1 "Failed attempted to get laid"
Nightclub in Denmark.She's from Lithuania.He's from Netherlands.They met.They drank.They danced.They drank more.They talked.They touched.They kissed.He hoped to...She refused to...They decided to meet in a month in Milan and hitchhike Italy-France-Spain for a few weeks.They haven't done any sort of hitching-backpacking traveling before. They had absolutely no idea how it works.But they both had seen "Into the Wild",that's something,right?

CHAPTER 2 "Dumb and Dumber"
July.+40C.I arrive to Milan and wait for the stranger-I-met-weeks-ago to get here so we could spend a few weeks together doing God-knows-what,traveling God-knows-how, sleeping God-knows-where...Actually,I'm sure that at that point God himself didn't know all the answers. First day was awkward and terrifying.But after we reached the point "Should we call this whole thing off?" we stubbornly decided to stick to the plan. Well...the plan wasn't too sophisticated:"to hitchhike Italy-France-Spain".So we did...

CHAPTER 7 "Damn the Discovery Channel"
In the midst of our journey somewhere between Italy and France we decided to hike up the mountain.At that point we were so utterly in love with each other,that we hadn't the slightest shade of worry about ridiculously little amount of water supplies,enervating heat or complete absence of basic hiking equipment.We hiked and hiked, and by the time it started to get dark we reached a beautiful cliff with breath-taking view of the sea.Since it got late and there were no humans around we were exhilarated to discover THE MAGIC HOUSE (just like Christopher's MAGIC BUS in the "Into the Wild").Picture the ruins of a house with white-brick walls and a roof. No windows, no doors, no furniture.Soon The Great Thirst kicked in while the only source of water was a tiny pool near our MAGIC HOUSE. It was filled with brownish-yellowish rain-water with various insects and other creatures floating inside."Luckily" my lover had seen a documentary on the Discovery Channel and was "able" to filter that disgusting water using a towel.The thirst was so unbearable that we ended up drinking that "filtered" water.Picture the night.We are lying on the concrete floor in out MAGIC HOUSE.Our soring throats and stomachs are painfully burning and the soundtrack of hissing snakes isn't helping.After praying to all the Gods I know and murmuring all the prayers I remember,I couldn’t help but wonder HOW DID I END UP HERE?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About edge


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.