Existing Member?

Ed does the AA This the account of Ed Powell, a man in his 20s exploring SE Asia and Auckland. My moto - "Bringing the world together, 1 step at a time"

Trust me, I'm an advanced diver!

THAILAND | Thursday, 28 June 2007 | Views [601]

Hello to all, I'm back again and am writing to you from Bangkok.  Before I start I should mention that I have been restricted by certain people (not mentioning any names but read between the lines) about the content.  I will do the best I can to paint the picture.

So I have now left Koh Tao where I was at for a week or so and can now succesfully add advanced diver to Ed's bow.  It was an interesting week which involved lots.  Let me start from when I completed my open water status. 

There were 6 of us in our group and for a celebration we played the infamous game of "ring of fire" (thanks Sarah, it now has cult status).  We then embarked on a night out of cocktails and chiang (beer) in bars along the beach.  Eventually the night comes to an end and I find that Steff has gone missing as well as marie.  Rule No.1 has been broken - never give the girls your crashing with the key to your room!  I eventually find Steff back at the dive centre and does she have the key - you guest it - No!  Still no sign of Marie.  I'm getting angry.  I ended up sleeping in the bar on a pile of bean bags listening to the sea crash onto the shore hoping no stray dogs would take a liking to me in my defenseless state. 

We finally tracked down the door key and the lesson was learned - Ed carries everything as the excuse was, wait for it; "sorry, I did not realise I had it!"

Now I am proud to state that I have actually seen a turtle before in the wild.  Unfortunately it was dead and stunk of that smell you get when you walk into a dog owners house and they don't clean it properly.  However, luckily I was able to see one in Koh Tao, unbelievable in my room that I was sharing!  So much so that it would not move from the bathroom and due to this I decided to bunk in with a friend.  The girls however decided to stay.  Maybe it was a pride thing.  After another day the girls were told to change rooms.  Everyone - READ BETWEEN THE LINES. It was not me.

Now as an advanced diver (trust me) you get to do some cool things.  For example you get to dive to 30 metres.  You also learn navigation.  But what did it for me was the night dive.  This was an unbelieveable experience as you literally can't see anything apart from what your torch shines on.  Whilst your down there you have this x-files sound track which the ocean is orchestrating and it struck me that throughout all the time I have spent in Thailand, is silence possible?  From the word go there has been this constant soundtrack beeing played that has spanned many genres of planes, tuk tuks, diving plus more.  Last thing before you go to bed you hear lizards and first thing you hear cockerils. Is it possible?  Even underwater you hear loads of weird stuff! 

Anyway, I'm now heading up North after what was possible the most turbulent boat crossing ever.  Alfie, my new London Underground travel companion threw up several times off the back of the catamaran and is still swaying today.  Tonight I am off to Chaing Mai to trek for 3 days so I will speak to you all soon.  I have abadoned Bridget due to constant questions of have you got the key, is the door locked and what we doing next. Bless her, the London girl is out of her depth, but is finally relaxing with some newly found friends - mum she'll be fine.

Right, till next time.

Whats next?


Ed 

Tags: Adventures

About edd_powell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.